My Business
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Club does not display on map in Google search results - and Two location listing.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have two questions that are related, I know one has been asked a lot before, but after reading a number of threads and posts, I'm still no wiser on what to do. Hopefully, I can resolve that here. please bear with me as I'm a new user to Google Business and this is my first post.

The two issues I'm trying to resolve:

I run a small Aikido Club (www.seibukan-uk.org). When I search Google for Aikido Milton Keynes, my club was always the first one listed. However, recently, whilst it still appears at the top of the non advert listings, a new map appears at the top of the results listing a number of other clubs, but not mine. This pushes my result off the page, even though it is at the top of the result list. I would like my club to appear in that map so that it is more clearly visible.

From my understanding, in order for that to happen I need to register on Google Business, which I have recently completed and verified. According to my account, I'm registered on Google Search, Google Business and Google+, and I appear in the maps when I click on these links from my account, but I still do not appear on the map that shows at the top of a Google search. Is there something else I need to do to appear in the main search result map?

Additionally, we have two dojo's for training. We train in Tattenhoe Pavillion, Holborn Crescent,Tattenhoe, Milton Keynes, MK4 3EQ, on Monday and Wednesday. We train in Kents Hill Community Centre, Frithwood Crescent, Kents Hill, Milton Keynes, MK7 6HQ, on Thursday. We have the dreaded two location problem. We area single club, the contacts, contact phone and email details are the same for both locations. I'd like to be able to list both locations on the map, and on the same business page. How can I do this?

The Google Maps URL for the first address is:

https://www.google.com/maps?cid=6614834657373508321&hl=en&_ga=1.61267948.1374042073.1489673280

This  is the search result for Aikido Milton Keynes:

https://www.google.com/search?ludocid=6614834657373508321&hl=en&q=Seibukan%20Aikido%20UK%20Tattenhoe...

Hopefully you can help me resolve the issues.

thanks

Bryan 

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Seibukan U
April

Club does not display on map in Google search results - and Two location listing.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I would like my club to appear in that map so that it is more clearly visible.

Any given search result will change on Google ever few miles that a searcher moves through the world (real or virtual) and there are as many search results as there are searchers. These results are changed based on the search location, their previous searches, places they have reviewed, places and websites they have viewed. Thus it is difficult to discuss ranking in any objective way.

That being said Google does use 3 broad metrics for ranking a set of results:
Proximity
Relevance
Prominence

Proximity is defined as how close the listing is to the assumed position of the searcher. Some searches have a radius of only several miles around the point defined by that assumed position. This depends on your industry and its density.

Relevance is all the things that Google looks at to understand what a business is and does. It is not a binary assignation and has valence... so a business could be more relevant than another and rank higher. Relevance is accrued to a listing by things like:
- business name
- category at Google
- category elsewhere
- review content at Google
- review content elsewhere
- website content
- anchor text content
- social content
- newspaper article content

Prominence speaks to the idea of quantity and quality of "on-line votes" for the business. This is primarily in the form of links to their website, the local quality of those links and the quality of the websites from which they came. A link from the NY Times is likely worth more than a link from the Olean Times Herald.

So it is difficult, given the complexity of Google's approach, to determine why you are not showing without some research and knowing how competitive your industry is. But it would appear that you are positioned at #4 which means that you are not far off the hunt. 

Generally speaking will have a pretty good chance of ranking if you
-have a well designed website with good content and good title tags
-get some reviews at Google and around the web
-have done a good job of categorizing and explaining your business at the sites that Google looks at
- and get some links to your website from other local businesses and places like the Better Business Bureau

Also note that two of the top ranking listings seem to have 'massaged' their names to do better on the search result. It might be worth some research to determine if that are their real names and if not report them.

We area single club, the contacts, contact phone and email details are the same for both locations. I'd like to be able to list both locations on the map, and on the same business page. How can I do this?

If you are in fact eligible and have two permanent locations then you need two pages. There is no way to list them on the same page at Google. The listing that shows is unique to each address. 

Additionally, we have two dojo's for training. We train in Tattenhoe Pavillion, Holborn Crescent,Tattenhoe, Milton Keynes, MK4 3EQ, on Monday and Wednesday. We train in Kents Hill Community Centre, Frithwood Crescent, Kents Hill, Milton Keynes, MK7 6HQ, on Thursday. We have the dreaded two location problem.

Please read the Google guidelines about ineligible businesses. https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177?hl=en 

The guideline I am wondering about is being ineligible if you offer

• An ongoing service, class, or meeting at a location that you don't own or have the authority to represent.

It is not clear from your description whether you are in fact eligible or not.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for that. Verified, location now appears on the map. Have added a second location, just waiting on the verification form from Google.