AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Change photo that appears atop the Knowledge Graph

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

Does anyone know if I can change the photo that appears at the top of the Knowledge Graph? Google appears to be pulling a user-submitted photo, not one uploaded through GMB.

gvrm.png

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Aaron H
March 2016

Re: Change photo that appears atop the Knowledge Graph

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for the background info, Grace. I actually just spoke with a Google rep, who informed me that even for a verified GMB listing with a good-looking cover/profile photo, Google will often use a photo from another third party source. This one looks to just be at the whims of Google's algorithms.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
You can specify the photo that you prefer to appear on Google Maps and the knowledge graph from within the photos section of your management dashboard. Have you already done that?
Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hey Colan,
Yup, I've had that set as both the profile photo and cover photo, but it doesn't seem to affect anything. Any other suggestions?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Aaron,

This support page, https://support.google.com/business/answer/6103862?hl=en provides information about the types of things Google takes into account when choosing a photo to display in search - might be helpful.

Grace
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Aaron H
March 2016

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for the background info, Grace. I actually just spoke with a Google rep, who informed me that even for a verified GMB listing with a good-looking cover/profile photo, Google will often use a photo from another third party source. This one looks to just be at the whims of Google's algorithms.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I've seen some cases where removing and re-adding the profile photo in the GMB changed the photo in the SERP's. However, this could also cause the annoying deleted photo placeholder to appear for a couple weeks.
Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky

Change photo that appears atop the Knowledge Graph

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Aaron H, 

Information in the Knowledge Graph is pulled automatically using algorithms, so there is not a way to guarantee a certain photo will display first every time.

Google cycles through the available photos and will pull the one that it deems most relevant and prominent for the given search. Although you can't control the photo in the Knowledge Graph, you can take a look at this article: goo.gl/GvpBGy  that shows how to include mark up on the official website to influence other information shown in the Knowledge Graph.