Guide Me
star_border

Can't verify Google Plus Business page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

He

Hey there,

We used to check our client's google+ pages to make sure that the rel=publisher tag on their website matched the link pointing to their website on the google+ page, as to close the loop on rel=publisher.

With the new google+ layout, the link to the website isn't visible.

What's the best way to verify that G+ page has the correct URL? These instructions are out of date: https://support.google.com/business/answer/4569085?hl=en.

Is there something we're missing?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can't verify Google Plus Business page

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Mary-Grace W

What are you trying to achieve?

The link is about verifying a Brand Page or Business Page via search console but you are talking about the rel=publisher link on site?

Two different things really.

To add a rel=publisher to a website, you would code this into the link you use pointing to the Brand or Business page or it could be added into the sites <head>

Connect your site to search console ( you can use your analytics) tracking code if you have this installed.

Please Note: If you are trying to verify a business page in this method, not all business pages are eligible. Only businesses that Google is 100% sure they exist in the real world are eligible for verification via search console.

http://onlineownership.com/verified-google-local-business-page-minutes/

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Tim, 

As part of closing the loop (making sure it comes full circle) for rel=publisher, we both add the brand/business page to the website header, and then verify that the URL on the page is pointing back to the website -- website points to page, page points to website.

This used to be easy, because the G+ page had a 'links' section where you could easily see the URL that the page was linking to. With the new G+ layout, the 'links' section is not present.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Mary-Grace W

Make sure site is connected to search console, then go to the brand page >> switch back to classic view (bottom left of screen )

Then go to /about page >> click verify website

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Tim,

That method is out of date since google+  no longer offers access to the classic G+ version.   Further, google doesn't seem to even offer a new way to verify a G+ business page (brand page) other than the local page.   Perhaps they don't want us seeing our brand pages on google search console. I wasted half a day trying to figure this out.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Spring C

You are correct, that info was from last Nov. There has been a big divorce since then:

This is how to enable a G+ business page:

http://onlineownership.com/create-google-page-connected-google-business-page/

And because there was a divorce we are no longer involved with G+ and their process of Brand Pages

https://support.google.com/plus/answer/1710600