AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Can't verify Google Plus Business page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

He

Hey there,

We used to check our client's google+ pages to make sure that the rel=publisher tag on their website matched the link pointing to their website on the google+ page, as to close the loop on rel=publisher.

With the new google+ layout, the link to the website isn't visible.

What's the best way to verify that G+ page has the correct URL? These instructions are out of date: https://support.google.com/business/answer/4569085?hl=en.

Is there something we're missing?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can't verify Google Plus Business page

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Mary-Grace W

What are you trying to achieve?

The link is about verifying a Brand Page or Business Page via search console but you are talking about the rel=publisher link on site?

Two different things really.

To add a rel=publisher to a website, you would code this into the link you use pointing to the Brand or Business page or it could be added into the sites <head>

Connect your site to search console ( you can use your analytics) tracking code if you have this installed.

Please Note: If you are trying to verify a business page in this method, not all business pages are eligible. Only businesses that Google is 100% sure they exist in the real world are eligible for verification via search console.

http://onlineownership.com/verified-google-local-business-page-minutes/

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Tim, 

As part of closing the loop (making sure it comes full circle) for rel=publisher, we both add the brand/business page to the website header, and then verify that the URL on the page is pointing back to the website -- website points to page, page points to website.

This used to be easy, because the G+ page had a 'links' section where you could easily see the URL that the page was linking to. With the new G+ layout, the 'links' section is not present.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Mary-Grace W

Make sure site is connected to search console, then go to the brand page >> switch back to classic view (bottom left of screen )

Then go to /about page >> click verify website

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Tim,

That method is out of date since google+  no longer offers access to the classic G+ version.   Further, google doesn't seem to even offer a new way to verify a G+ business page (brand page) other than the local page.   Perhaps they don't want us seeing our brand pages on google search console. I wasted half a day trying to figure this out.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Spring C

You are correct, that info was from last Nov. There has been a big divorce since then:

This is how to enable a G+ business page:

http://onlineownership.com/create-google-page-connected-google-business-page/

And because there was a divorce we are no longer involved with G+ and their process of Brand Pages

https://support.google.com/plus/answer/1710600