AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Calling from within my Google Maps App listing will send calls to my competitors!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello! I have a huge issue and I have no idea where to start working on this.

We just recently established the listing for our business (we share a building with another business, they're related but they are two different groups).  When we search self storage in the maps app from our area we come up very high; when you click the call button (the actual phone icon) it shows you the number it's going to call and then asks if you'd like to dial it.  For a couple of our employees who tested it, the numbers cycle through 3 different numbers and the numbers it cycles through are some of our competitors!  They are local, near by numbers but they are not ours and have never been associated with our business.

I have not been able to replicate on my phone but I did see it happen on two different iPhones (a 5 and a 4c).  I called Google and they were not helpful.  Where could this be coming from? How can I make sure Maps dials the number on my verified listing!?

storEDGE

4830 Rainbow Boulevard
Westwood, Kansas 66205

(913) 954-4110

https://plus.google.com/106326550914269602347?hl=en

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lillian W
December 2016

Calling from within my Google Maps App listing will send calls to my competitors!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hey @Lillian W can you please send me a screenshot of exactly where you saw the listing?

A screenshot of the listing itself on your phone followed by a screenshot of what you get when you click the call button.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey @Lillian W

I think I recall on your previous thread that most of the people who were getting the incorrect numbers were using iPhones. Your listing on Google Maps has the correct phone # but I couldn't find you at all on Apple Maps and that's most likely what the issue is.

A lot of people on iPhones think they're using Google Maps but the default is always Apple Maps. I would suggest adding and claiming your listing there. (https://mapsconnect.apple.com/)

Owner of Sterling Sky

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I could absolutely see that as being the issue but I saw it myself and it was Google Maps.  The users are actually the CEO and Director of Dev here at our software/website development company so we are very precise about the conditions in which we find bugs.

It's also routing to numbers that have never been associated with our company in any way.

But thanks so much for the thought!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Lillian W then it's possible there is more than 1 listing out there for you. Can you tell me what phone # showed up when you pressed to call?

Owner of Sterling Sky

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Sure.  It cycled through 3 different numbers:

816-842-0460

816-753-3304

816-722-4884

These are all local storage facilities but we have never owned them or owned their phone numbers as part of this business.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lillian W
December 2016

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hey @Lillian W can you please send me a screenshot of exactly where you saw the listing?

A screenshot of the listing itself on your phone followed by a screenshot of what you get when you click the call button.

Owner of Sterling Sky

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Welp, we can't seem to replicate it so maybe this was a fluke? Or had something to do with the fact that the listing had only been live for less than a week?

If we see it happen again, I'll revisit this post.  Thank you!