AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2K members online now
2K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Business not visible for category + city query

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I know, I know -- the question of "why isn't my listing ranking?" gets pretty old, but I've done the checks for this one that make me think it's legitimate.  There are a couple other businesses in the same building (which can be seen on Street View), but they all have their own spaces (https://goo.gl/csmFyf and https://goo.gl/uUcsHn).  One of them (The Law Office of Andrew Shubin) is a criminal attorney, which make me think that that business is getting the sole "slot" in Google's database for the category "Criminal Justice Attorney" at this address, which would filter out the business in question.  Does that look to be the case?  I realize using a suite number may not always help Google distinguish between the businesses.

1. Law Office of Ronald F. Saupe, Esq.

2. 333 South Allen Street
Suite 102
State College, PA 16801

3. 814-280-8789

4. https://goo.gl/VGi8Po

5. http://www.saupelaw.com

Search performed is "criminal justice attorney state college pa."

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Vladdy B
October

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hey @Vladdy B

So yes, it looks like Andrew Shubin is there and you guys are filtered. Honestly when it comes to filtered cases, I'm rarely able to really figure out what the main issues are without spending a few hours looking into it.  The biggest thing you should do is analyze his listings to figure out which SEO factors they are beating you at since there are hundreds of factors.  

An easy one I would start with is getting more reviews. You guys don't have any and it's very hard to compete without them. I would suggest you reach out to some of your clients that you did cases for that would be willing to leave one for you.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

View solution in original post

Re: Business not visible for category + city query

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Vladdy B

Two thoughts on this one:

1. I've seen before where 2 businesses of the same category, one with a precise address (eg suite #) gets filtered out, and the more general address is listed. Please note, correlation is not causation and I don't have a large sample set to create enough evidence to say it conclusively. No-one knows precisely how the "possum" update works...
    One other point related to possum - it seems that Google doesn't want to show multiple businesses at the same address of the same category for a search query.  There will be an algorithmic way of deciding which listing shows, but that remains part of Google's secret sauce.
  2. That said, can you also check the categories on the listing. There isn't a category for "criminal justice attorney" I can see, so the filtering may be in part, a result of Google not having enough definition in the categories to infer the same about RFS Esq as it does about the other listing in the same location.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Margaret O · Google My Business Top Contributor

Find me on · · my blog

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks @MargaretO.

1. Yeah, the situation where Google doesn't display more than one business at an address for a given query has been around for a few years, actually.  My experience was that a suite number, if legitimate, would distinguish a business enough to prevent filtering.  But another TC mentioned on a webinar with Myles a couple weeks ago that that is not the case, currently.  Huge bummer for businesses located in the same building that use the same category.

2. The category for "Criminal Justice Attorney" is definitely there.  Are you looking at US-based SERP or Maps?  I'm not able to add an attachment to a comment, otherwise I would include a screenshot.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Vladdy B -

My apologies, I can see CJA cat on the listing now.

I agree it's a huge bummer.  

If I get any additional information that can be of assistance, I'll post back.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Margaret O · Google My Business Top Contributor

Find me on · · my blog

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@JoyHawkins, can you think of anything else that we should try?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Vladdy B
October

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hey @Vladdy B

So yes, it looks like Andrew Shubin is there and you guys are filtered. Honestly when it comes to filtered cases, I'm rarely able to really figure out what the main issues are without spending a few hours looking into it.  The biggest thing you should do is analyze his listings to figure out which SEO factors they are beating you at since there are hundreds of factors.  

An easy one I would start with is getting more reviews. You guys don't have any and it's very hard to compete without them. I would suggest you reach out to some of your clients that you did cases for that would be willing to leave one for you.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual