2.1K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Business not showing on maps - filtered from initial view

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dealing with a property that's filtered from the initial maps view for hotels killeen tx. (Showing Permanently Closed locations but not this one!)

NAP has been consistent but the W has been different before. (This has not caused filtering issues on other properties I see.)

Candlewood Suites Killeen - Fort Hood Area
2300 Florence Road Killeen, Texas 76542 United States
1-254-5013990

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&q=Candlewood+Suites+Killeen+-+Fort+Hood+Area#lrd=0x86454b0aa9...,

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&q=Candlewood+Suites+Killeen+-+Fort+Hood+Area

No issues that I can find which would indicate a manual penalty.

2 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Craig H and sorry to hear.

There was a big algo update (we call it Possum) and many people at my forum have described the exact same problem. The pros have been discussing and trying to figure out solutions since the update happened around Sept 1st.

See this post from fellow TC Joy Hawkins: Everything you need to know about Google’s ‘Possum’ algorithm update There is a link within that post to one of the discussions at my forum on the issue too.

Now that's not saying you may not have some other issue. But we are short staffed today so I don't have time to research/troubleshoot your listing.

Let me know if anything from that article and my forum seems to fit for you.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yep. Already read all of that and spoke with some people during MozCon and it's a head scratcher for all involved. 

We've been through all the regular testing and haven't been able to find any reason.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I'm not seeing you as filtered. I found you on page 2 of the local finder for that keyword.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hotels+killeen+tx&rlz=1C1CHWA_enCA683CA683&hotel_dates=2016-10-09,20...

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Not seeing it. Searching from Atlanta on Chrome incognito. Candlewood Suites Bldg 144 on Fort Hood is a different location.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hey Craig,

You're right - the one I saw was Bldg 144

So at first glance it appears like there is a big cluster of hotels near the particular hotel location that's filtered. Some of these hotels are showing and some are filtered. For example, the Residence Inn is also filtered.  At first I thought the filter was applying  based on the same address but now it looks like it is using a radius and filtering out the weakest businesses so that the map pack is more diverse and doesn't just include a bunch of places around the exact same area. 

Owner of Sterling Sky

Re: Business not showing on maps - filtered from initial view

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

hotels filtered.png

Owner of Sterling Sky

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That makes some sense. The frustrating thing for these hotels is that the last 4 locations I see on the initial list are Perm. Closed! Can't be a good thing for satisfaction with search results.

I was wondering if it might be a diversity issue b/c the property shows when any kind of filtering by amenity or rating is applied. 

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Yeah it's true...

The filter is applied for each search so just because you're filtered for one particular search term definitely does not mean you are filtered from all of them. It depends on your relevance to that term. Ex: it shows when you search "hotel with gym killeen tx".  

Reviews play a huge role in this so what people say about you in the reviews has a big impact on where you show up.

Owner of Sterling Sky

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Thanks Joy!