4.2K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Business moved - closed location showing up in search, new not

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My business moved location. I created a new website and then created and verified its location on Maps (via business.google).
When I try to search for my business, it comes up with my old business' address (it appears there was an entry for it previously) which is marked as closed. I have to search for my business plus its new street name explicitly to find the new address on maps.

Obviously customers searching for my business want to see the new address and not the old one, so how do I resolve this? I want the new address (which is just down the road) to show up in search results before the old/closed address does.

Do I need to claim the old address? I imagine then that I'd have 2 locations under my management screen, would it be possible to change the address of the old one then delete the new one I created - or merge them in some way?

4 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michael A
December 2015

Re: Business moved - closed location showing up in search, new not

Top Contributor
# 11
Top Contributor

@Michael A  - Google got back to me with this:

It looks like these pages were acted on recently; the closed page was marked closed recently and the open page was verified about a week ago. I would say that we should ask the user to wait a bit but we can also set the relation and see if it helps. I've gone ahead and done that but again, it might take some time.

Unfortunately, the user will need to wait a few weeks to see if this changes. If not, please do let us know and we can try to take further action.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Michael A

nope Michael, you don't need to claim the old address (an likely you can't even claim it)

Would you mind providing here your G+ business name and both addresses to take a closer look

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Helmut Geissler

Thanks for your reply.

The G+ business name is China Tea House.
New address: 2/38 Gartside Street, Wanniassa ACT 2903 (Australia)
Old address: 2 Ricardo St, Wanniassa ACT 2903 (Australia)

Note that from my location (in ACT Australia) when I search for China Tea House on Google Search, the old address's information is displayed prominently on the right-hand side of the search results. When I search for that phrase in Maps, only the old address shows up (unless I explicitly enter the street name of the new address as well).

Thanks for your help.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Michael A

I can replicate your issue 

searching for  china tea house Wanniassa ACT 2903 or china tea house  ACT 2903 I get the old and closed location only.

Getting your new address for china tea house  2/38 Gartside Street, Wanniassa ACT 2903 only.

This  indeed is very weird.

Let me ask (ping) an Austrian TC @PriyaC  for her opinion or advice please

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@Helmut Geissler

Thanks for your reply. I'd appreciate if you could ask @PriyaC for advice on this.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hey Michael,

Yes you need to merge them but only Google can do this - you can't accomplish it by claiming the old one and then deleting it (it won't actually delete the page it would just unverify it).

I would call phone support: https://support.google.com/business/contact/business_c2c and ask them to merge the two.

As a warning, I have done this several times and every now and then I get someone on the phone who tells me this isn't possible because the addresses don't match. This is when I clarify and tell them that when a business moves it doesn't create a new page when you update the address in the dashboard (unless the move was really far away). Because of this, the old location listing is in fact a duplicate. Normally after arguing with them a bit they always merge the 2 pages for me.

I would advise you to keep an eye on it for a couple months after them merge them to make sure your driving directions are correct and your address displays as it should. 

Owner of Sterling Sky

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Michael A

Bit late to the discussion but I'm with @JoyHawkins - request a call back from Google to get the two pages merged via https://support.google.com/business/contactflow

Because of Thanksgiving in America, the call back option is not available until Saturday (our time) I believe. Make sure you give them a direct number (like your mobile) that they can call you on - it will be an American number that calls you.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@JoyHawkins and @PriyaC

Thanks for your responses to my issue.

I got a callback from Google but unfortunately the support officer was insistent that it wasn't technically possible to merge the old page or to resolve the problem in any way other than to slowly increase the new location's search ranking by adding reviews etc so that it's search ranking becomes better than the old location. He then emailed me what looks like a cut and paste response to people having search ranking issues, with guidelines on how to improve rankings.

I'll try a few more people and let you know how it goes.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hey Michael,

I'll escalate this thread to get Google to help out here.

Owner of Sterling Sky

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks @JoyHawkins, I appreciate it.