AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Business doesn't show up AT ALL in the places listings!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Client's verified business listing (Mansfield Chiropractic LLC) was #1 in places, for "Mansfield Chiropractors" but suddenly it doesn't show up AT ALL in the places listings. Instead, his "personal" listing (George Bobbitt, DC) appears as #3. (Same street address.)

See: https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&rlz=1C1GIWA_enUS560US560&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8...

This "personal" listing (George Bobbitt, DC) hasn't been claimed. We could claim it, but wouldn't that just validate it and give it more "strength?"  

Here is my client's verified Google+ page: https://plus.google.com/+Mansfieldchiropractic1/posts 

This page as has 20 reviews and a 4.9 rating an is the desired listing.

Curiously, this search:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GIWA_enUS560US560&espv=2&biw=1311&bih=912&q=mansfield+chiroprac...

...DOES show my client's desired listing in the knowledge graph on the right. So that listing must be "okay" insofar as Google is concerned or it wouldn't show at all, correct?

On top of all that, there is a duplicate places listing for the business: https://plus.google.com/+Mansfieldchiropractic/posts

Ideally we would like to replace the personal listing with the business listing that has 20 reviews and a 4.9 rating and delete the second business listing that has no reviews.  Or merge them all.

Suggestions/help appreciated.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nick N
January 2016

Re: Business doesn't show up AT ALL in the places listings!

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hi Nick,

"Exactly. If you (an expert) aren't sure what the deal is, how can we mere mortals figure it out."

Sometimes Google works in mysterious ways. :-) Normally if a listing is unclaimed or gets deleted from dash then it looses everything except NAP and category. So would not have hours or description.

Deleting any page from dash, only removes it from dash so you no longer control it. Google won't let you delete any listing from maps if the business or person is still viable and there are other references to it on the web.

Support a few years ago used to delete practitioner listings as dupes, but they won't any longer. They want practitioner listings to show up.

If you close it Google, can tell that's not true if they see the practitioner mentioned all over the site.

PLUS a closed listing at your location even for an ex-practitioner that's no longer there, often kills ranking too because it's same address and phone.

Additionally closng does not make it go away. The listing stays live with a big red PERMANENTLY CLOSED sign on the listing. So if a patient is searching for the Dr, it could look like they are out of business. :-(

So really the best (only) thing to do is to minimize it. I've had tons of consultants do it on thousands of listings and they all tell me it works. Plus when I ran the strategy past Google management, they even said it was a good way to deal with the situation.

So the most important points are that the Dr listing should point to an internal page like Dr bio or about us.
And the Dr listing needs to have a valid category but it needs to be different from the main categories for the practice listing so they aren't competing for the same cat.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Nick N

pleas two remarks:

1#  your business is not "Mansfield Chiropractic LLC" but "Mansfield Chiropractic Center LLC" and as such I get it as below:

Screenshot 2015-12-29 at 23.07.20.png

2# searching for "chiropractic center near mansfield tx" I get you too:

Screenshot 2015-12-29 at 23.14.27.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Helmut, but I want the "Mansfield Chiropractic Center LLC" listing to display in the local pack when a search is done for "Mansfield Chiropractors" as it did until just recently. From my end, it doesn't appear at all in the Places listings for "Mansfield Chiropractors."

See: https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GIWA_enUS560US560&espv=2&biw=1314&bih=912&q=Mansfield+Chiroprac...

Potential patients who don't already know the name of the business probably wouldn't use "Mansfield Chiropractic Center LLC" as a search query when searching for chiropractors in Mansfield, TX.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Nick, the dup you mentioned is a brand page - https://plus.google.com/+Mansfieldchiropractic/about It can't be merged with the local page. There is a process that you can go through to transfer the local page data over to the brand page but that won't solve your ranking issue. At least I have no reason to believe it would.

Have you made any recent edits in the GMB? Categories, business name, address, phone..

I also just noticed that there is a listing ranking for George Bobbitt, DC. Check out this screenshot. Are you seeing this too?

bobbitt.png

The live page is actually 404'd - https://plus.google.com/+GeorgeBobbittDCMansfield/about

Do you know anything about that page? Was it ranking before the main listing dropped?

Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Colan. Thanks for responding.

With the client's permission I deleted the "George Bobbitt, DC" page - hoping it would disappear eventually.

Haven't made any recent changes to the GMB data on the brand page we want to keep.

Would you please tell me where I can go to learn about the "process that you can go through to transfer the local page data over to the brand page?"

I am confused, though, about the difference between a "brand" page and a "local" page.

It looks to me like both the page we want to keep: (https://plus.google.com/+Mansfieldchiropractic1/posts) And the page we want to transfer from (https://plus.google.com/+Mansfieldchiropractic/posts) are the same type of page.

Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Nick, the instructions are here - https://support.google.com/business/answer/6010825?hl=en But I don't think it would accomplish anything. The only reason I see for going through that process is if the brand page has a ton of followers and posts.

I think your underlying ranking issue is connected to the Bobbitt page. How long ago did you delete that page? How did you delete it? Has it been ranking in the 3-pack ever since?
Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Nick,

Just came across this one and wanted to weigh in. FYI Colan is right, that other page is a brand page, not a local page so it is not the issue.

And yes having a practitioner listing, especially a strong one like that one will almost always hurt the practice listing's rankings.

Confused... You said: "This "personal" listing (George Bobbitt, DC) hasn't been claimed. We could claim it, but wouldn't that just validate it and give it more "strength?""

Yes it would. (BUT it's already claimed so damage done.)

But then you said: "With the client's permission I deleted the "George Bobbitt, DC" page - hoping it would disappear eventually."

So if you didn't think it was claimed. How did you attempt to delete? Even if was in your dash, deleting from dash won't delete from maps. PLUS Google won't let you delete practitioner listings no matter how you cut it.

Additionally, that Dr page IS still live, it's not 404.

PLUS I believe it is claimed in a dashboard somewhere. Maybe not in a dashboard you have access to.

Here it is - a claimed listing: https://plus.google.com/106171851204990971353/about

(I say claimed because there is a rich description and there are hours. A bare unclaimed listing would not normally have this info. Yet in maps it does say "claim this business" so not sure what the deal is. But it looks to me like it was claimed back in 2013.)

Not sure why Colan was getting a 404. Maybe that was yet another listing for the same Dr.  But this listing is your problem.

Again Google won't let you delete it, because it's a practitioner listing. So the only thing you can try is to MINIMIZE the listing. Since it's claimed, ideally you should try to find the account it's in and make the changes there. If you absolutely can't get access you can just do user edits but you are right since it's claimed it has more power and you can't delete/change some of the info without dashboard access.

Anyway here's general info I wrote about how to minimize a practitioner listing.

Overcoming Google Practitioner Duplicate Listing Problems for Dentists, Attorneys

But again since that one is claimed, it's not as straightforward as what's in the post.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Linda... thanks for responding.

RE: I said: "This 'personal' listing (George Bobbitt, DC) hasn't been claimed. We could claim it, but wouldn't that just validate it and give it more 'strength?'"

You said: "Yes it would. (BUT it's already claimed so damage done.)"

But then you said, "(I say claimed because there is a rich description and there are hours. A bare unclaimed listing would not normally have this info. Yet in maps it does say 'claim this business' so not sure what the deal is. But it looks to me like it was claimed back in 2013.)"

The key part being, "Yet in maps it does say 'claim this business' so not sure what the deal is."

Exactly. If you (an expert) aren't sure what the deal is, how can we mere mortals figure it out: ;)

I hope you can understand how I could be a little confused. ;)

Bottom line: I *thought* I deleted the practitioner page but as I now understand it, that doesn't necessarily mean the listing (data) will be completely removed.

Is there a way to tell Google to delete that listing entirely?

Would flagging the practitioner business as "closed" cause it to go away, or would that do more harm than good?

Thanks for your help.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nick N
January 2016

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hi Nick,

"Exactly. If you (an expert) aren't sure what the deal is, how can we mere mortals figure it out."

Sometimes Google works in mysterious ways. :-) Normally if a listing is unclaimed or gets deleted from dash then it looses everything except NAP and category. So would not have hours or description.

Deleting any page from dash, only removes it from dash so you no longer control it. Google won't let you delete any listing from maps if the business or person is still viable and there are other references to it on the web.

Support a few years ago used to delete practitioner listings as dupes, but they won't any longer. They want practitioner listings to show up.

If you close it Google, can tell that's not true if they see the practitioner mentioned all over the site.

PLUS a closed listing at your location even for an ex-practitioner that's no longer there, often kills ranking too because it's same address and phone.

Additionally closng does not make it go away. The listing stays live with a big red PERMANENTLY CLOSED sign on the listing. So if a patient is searching for the Dr, it could look like they are out of business. :-(

So really the best (only) thing to do is to minimize it. I've had tons of consultants do it on thousands of listings and they all tell me it works. Plus when I ran the strategy past Google management, they even said it was a good way to deal with the situation.

So the most important points are that the Dr listing should point to an internal page like Dr bio or about us.
And the Dr listing needs to have a valid category but it needs to be different from the main categories for the practice listing so they aren't competing for the same cat.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Linda... that's great advice that I will implement!