Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Business does not show up on google maps as icon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,
I have a problem with one map listing. It is a verified page that is 100% completed. The problem is that no matter how you zoom in on the area in google maps, the listing is not showing up as an icon. All businesses around him are showing, but this one is not. Only exception is when you search for this name directly. Why other places are showing?

What should we do or check in order to get him showing as an icon when people just browsing around the map?

P.S. Listing has significant traffic, good reviews, 4.6 star rating, post updates and pictures.

TEAL

https://plus.google.com/+Tealwellness/about

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anna C
February 2016

Re: Business does not show up on google maps as icon

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Anna,

Typically when you search addresses, Google displays the address, not the business on the map, and then in the left-hand sidebar they show you the locations at that address. In terms of just scanning the map, which businesses show is determined via algorithms based on popularity of the listings. One way to increase the popularity is to increase the rank so that more actions are taken in relationship to the listing. The things that likely increase the popularity of a listing are the actions users take on your listing compared to others in the same market like how many times a listing is viewed in Maps, the Place page is viewed etc. So doing things like gaining more reviews, adding photos and beefing up the business page will all help.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Anna,

I can't seem to replicate the issue. When I search the map for massage therapy or wellness or wellness centers I see Teal on the left-hand results and on the map as an icon. The icon is bigger and pronounced for their primary category but the icon persists for all searches I do. Aren't you seeing the same? (See below) You may want to try the search from an Incognito or private window to see if you get the same results. 

2016-02-24_16-37-35.jpg

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In this case I was searching for the address - no icon on the map. When I am just browsing the map - no icon too.

maps kalp no icon.jpg

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anna C
February 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Anna,

Typically when you search addresses, Google displays the address, not the business on the map, and then in the left-hand sidebar they show you the locations at that address. In terms of just scanning the map, which businesses show is determined via algorithms based on popularity of the listings. One way to increase the popularity is to increase the rank so that more actions are taken in relationship to the listing. The things that likely increase the popularity of a listing are the actions users take on your listing compared to others in the same market like how many times a listing is viewed in Maps, the Place page is viewed etc. So doing things like gaining more reviews, adding photos and beefing up the business page will all help.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
the general answer about dealing with or getting Place Labels (as it is what Anna is asking about) is written here: https://support.google.com/business/answer/6056435

And Anna be sure: Its a misbelief that more or less reviews will matter regarding Place Labels

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm having this same problem - but the Icon WAS there, but now the listing is there but no Icon on map and it just shows Riverside, CA - Please advise 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Me too. If I search my page it shows up but does not feature when browsing Google maps. I have verified and have reviews and posts etc so qualify but no icon. Around me (mostly farms etc) there are icons where the business has not completed even a profile so I am confused...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Has this changed at all in the last year? I have the same issue. We have a great business page, reviews, etc. But for some reason, the icon of our location doesn't show up unless searched for. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Thanks for the link. According to the place labels policy, if one has considered all the factors which are mentioned, then google should put a place label for a business.

But in most cases which I see in this thread, people are confused including me that a new business which has just come up recently gets a place label while the existing business which are verified on google my business accounts are struggling getting a place label. 

I have three branches of same business all verified but only one of them has a place label.

This one has a place label

https://goo.gl/maps/FJLrkJn6mau

These do not have place label

https://goo.gl/maps/h5Kp7hYtrUs

https://goo.gl/maps/wBZkHBu8NZr

Please help. 

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi @kanwar s

according https://support.google.com/business/answer/6056435?hl=en place labels are not mandatory - period!