Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Business Doesn't Show on Google Search

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have verified my business and entered as many valid categories as Google will allow.  How do I get listed when people do a search for "short pump bjj"?

https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&biw=1920&bih=955&q=short%20pump%20bjj&psj=1&ved=0ahUKEwjXoPD37NHJ...

Biz is Phoenix Fitness & Martial Arts

All of our competitors show even those miles away from us but we don't show even if you click on "More Places". I've looked through my profile and don't see how I make us show up on the map.

Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Business Doesn't Show on Google Search

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Renee,

The short answer is this will take time if you have just recently created your business listing on the map and verified it.
By looking at your listing I can name a couple things that might be prohibiting you from getting on the right path. Let's complete your listing.

1. Your primary business category is Health Club. Which is very different from Martial Arts or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Most of the competitors you've shown are under: Martial Arts School
2. Fill out the introduction area for your Google business profile. And talk about your business and the services you offer in plain English and grammar.
3. Place more photos in your business listing I recommend more than 15

Ready for the long answer? We can talk a lot about this but I won't make it as long as it can be. Rather try to help you get in the right frame of mind.

A lot of it is based on the content of your website (specifically your homepage) and how authoritative you are on that subject. Authority includes how much real traffic do you get based on certain subjects and keywords. This helps Google understand if they should include you with the rest of those groups or if they are going to associate you with another group such as martial arts. Take a look at your competition and see how they talk about BJJ or any other keyword that they are getting listed for on the search results.

Something to keep in mind is that you will need to help robots and humans understand that you are a facility for BJJ or MMA or Muay Thai more than you are a cardio fitness club, if that is the case.

Aside from your website do all the other road signs across the internet consistent with each other in terms of what your business does and what you offer? Or is it a mixed bag? Make sure the Yelps, Bings, and Foursqaures of the world have consistent info to that of what Google has.

I hope this helps. :)

Re: Business Doesn't Show on Google Search

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Renee,

Your website doesn't show up in the top 100 for that keyword organically. I would start there. If you want to rank for Short Pump you would need to optimize some pages on your website for it. Your homepage doesn't even list the words "short pump" so Google isn't finding you very relevant.

I would also suggest you be consistent when you're picking what you want to optimize for. Currently your title tag has Richmond, your address has Henrico but you're searching Short Pump.

You have all your programs currently listed on one page (http://www.phoenixfma.com/adultma_training.asp) which isn't a great idea from an SEO perspective. If you really want to rank for BJJ it should have it's own page with lots of content and information about those particular classes.

According to Moz Local you are also missing listings on some of the major data providers (Acxiom, Express Update) that are definitely needed if you want to rank in the 3-pack: https://moz.com/local/search/Phoenix%20Fitness%20%26%20Martial%20Arts/23233

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual