My Business
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Business Category Not Available for me to choose - I cannot describe my business accurately.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Damp proofing is what we do but no category describes our company so is misleading to customers.

How can we get Damp Proofing added as a category as I believe theres thousands of companies in this field that are simply selecting plasterer as there category but is far from correct in what we do as businesses.

i.e a Pizza shop would be apparent to most people that they do fries and drinks but they wouldn't choose fries shop as a category

We do plastering but thats a sub category to what we actually do.  I don't want to be represented as a plasterer.  Many thanks..

Dampro is our business name

Dampro.co.uk

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Donny H
November 2016

Re: Business Category Not Available for me to choose - I cannot describe my business accurately.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Donny H

I will make the suggestion for that category to be considered by Google.

However, if your website details damp proofing and your Google business page description contains content that explains that you offer damp proofing, Google will read and understand this. So when some one searches for damp proofing in your area, you will appear within the local listing.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Business Category Not Available for me to choose - I cannot describe my business accurately.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm  having this same issue. How can I get the personalized description that I want--instead of having to choose from predetermined categories? 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

HI.   I suggest you make a description here or start your own post and describe what it is you want and the moderator will request for the title.   My request dosent seem to have been granted though and nofurther communication to suggest if it has been looked at etc.

Makes no sense that such a big business like damp proofing has not got its own catogery an the nearest but far from what we do is plasterer.  Poor 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Where is the place to offer up additional categories for consideration?  I'm in the same boat...it's like Google is trying to make everything either black or white.  I'm in the compactor installation, refurbishment & repair business, and also do truck body mounting.  There are no listings that even come close to these...best I can find is truck repair, and that isn't working for me as I'm getting calls when people are having engine problems with their trucks.  When you specialize in something different, it's really hard to get the word out there with the business descriptions offered by Google.  Suggestions?

Re: Business Category Not Available for me to choose - I cannot describe my business accurately.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @MJ A

You could select the category: Repair Service.

Google also uses your business description and website content to understand what you do as a business, so make sure you have that in place.

I will add the suggestion to our spread sheet.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am having the same issue. I am an Animal Behaviorist. I work with multiple species. The closest I can get is either "Animal Control" or "Dog Trainer".. Not even close! What can I do? Can you please suggest Animal Behaviorist as a category?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @Elizabeth J

I can add it to the suggestion list we have, but please be aware that Google cannot add every possible category.

Google machine learns, so if your website mentions all the correct terminology and other online references, then Google will return results within that search query.