2.4K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Bulk Fake Reviews

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

We have a major issue with our business. Someone who we are familiar with is trying to blackmail us by posting multiple fake reviews at the same time using different fake accounts. He first posted 1 star reviews, contacted us about getting paid, and then changed the ratings to 5 stars and added a lot more as an example of what he can do. Only proof we have for the scheme is the fact that 20 reviews are coming in the span time of couple of minutes. I tried contacting Google about it couple weeks ago when he just started but without any luck. Any idea of what we can do? How he is even able to create so many accounts and use them for reviews and make them stick without Google removing them??reviews.PNG 

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Bulk Fake Reviews

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Anthony J

Could you provide me details of the business please? Happy to investigate this and probably escalate to Google. 

1. Full business name
2. Current business address
3. Current telephone number
4. Google+ URL

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Margaret O · Google My Business Top Contributor

Find me on · · my blog

Bulk Fake Reviews

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

@MargaretO

Here is the information:
NorthWest Locksmith Spokane
Spokane, WA
(509) 210-7017

https://www.google.com/maps/place/NorthWest+Locksmith+Spokane/@47.710747,-117.385782,9z/data=!4m2!3m...

Looks like all of the 1 stars are now 5's

Bulk Fake Reviews

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Anthony J

If you're able to email me (my email is on my website) any details about this company, I can pass them along to Google.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Bulk Fake Reviews

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @MargaretO 

Here is the information about our business.

1. NorthWest Locksmith Spokane

2. We provide mobile service and we are not location based, but I can still provide you with the address associated with business listing if necessary.

3. (509) 210-7017

4. https://plus.google.com/u/0/112514856256601828813

Be aware that even if Google does end up concluding that there is something suspicious with these profiles and review, what will stop this guy from creating a mass of new profiles and spamming our listing with more reviews?

What I'm trying to say is, how can Google help deal with this situation in the long run vs just deal with the current situation?

Thank you.

Bulk Fake Reviews

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Jason,

As I mentioned before,

This person is trying to blackmail us. So at the moment he just try to show off is ability to flood the listing with reviews. a week ago, half of these profiles were associated with 1 star review. He then contacted us claiming that he can get those reviews go away if we comply with his demand. He then added that he will demonstrate what he can do in terms of changing the reviews and create new ones. If you look at the image I added it clearly shows that a flood the listing with about 20 reviews in about 3 minutes. How is he able to do that??

It is true that all those recent reviews are 5 stars now, but as I meantioned, if we will not comly to his demand, he will change all of them to 1 star within a week. How do we deal with something like that??

I have already contacted Google before when he just started couple weeks ago but the representative was of no help. This is a serious issue, and we are not the only business he is doing it too.

Bulk Fake Reviews

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @JoyHawkins

I just posted the information about our company on this thread.

Bulk Fake Reviews

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

That is what we are trying to work on and get addressed with Google

Bulk Fake Reviews

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hey @Anthony J I was referring to the information about the company that is blackmailing you. Have you reported them already to the FTC?  I don't believe what they are doing is legal.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Bulk Fake Reviews

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi @Anthony J

I'll forward these to Google for review.

I can see you've responded to some of the ratings, and that will help the team investigating as well. 

Did the person who you believe is doing this leave you with any contact details?  If so, could you provide them on this form - I'll share the info only with Google.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScab-dFFGRhWPhz3YVjq9yk270A9PsTr4YIQ9uTkeowOemXnQ/viewform

Do you know of any other businesses this person may have targeted with the same "deal"?

And Joy makes a good point about reporting this activity for criminal activity. While I don't believe Google is likely to want to attack this from a criminal perspective, any info we can give them about this person may help them deal with this from their end.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Margaret O · Google My Business Top Contributor

Find me on · · my blog