Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Brew Cafe

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am trying to understand something about Google Star ratings. We are a restaurant group and when someone searches for us on Google our stars show up under each of our sites (5 in total). 

However, when we search for some of our competitors

, they do not have google stars show up under their location. See attached examples.

Why is it that their google stars do not show up under their locations but ours do? 

Thanks!Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 09.23.38.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-30 at 09.24.06.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-30 at 09.23.49.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-30 at 09.24.25.png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Brew Cafe

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Google, as a search engine, sometimes has trouble understanding the searcher's intent. 

In this case it thinks that when a user searches for Brew Cafe that they are looking for coffee shops in general and returns a generic pack result with the results.

On the other hand when someone searches for Giggling Squid Google KNOWS that it is a brand/company search and returns the branded pack results. 

Whether it is possible to convince Google that your name is a brand/company and not a generic search term might or might not be possible. The single most likely thing to "change the search engine's mind" would be if you could get a Wikipedia article about your company.

The other obvious effort that you could make would be to brand your own website better using plain text and standard SEO practices. 

For example your home page has NO MENTION of your company as it is known in the real world . The Title tag is "Brew | Morning Noons & Night" and there is NO mention of your brand name in the body of the home page. 

Even on the Location page where there is a logo that says your name, its a graphic file that has NO alt tag with your whole name. 

And finally you should think linking to your local landing pages (in plain text) for each of your locations so that when someone clicks through to your website from the local pack display they are taken to a page with locally relevant information (phone, street address, unique items at that location, manager name, local reviews). But even on those pages you would want to add more branding that is understandable to Google (i.e. your company name in plain text, use of schema.org markup).

In fact using schema site wide might also help Google understand who you are and what you do better. 

In fact fixing your website to meet the current standards for Local might even obviate the need for a Wikipedia article. 

There may be other things as well but those are the ones at the top of the heap.