5.2K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Best Practices For Phone Number on local listings

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've always read that best practices for a business with multiple offices is to make sure you are using a unique local phone number for each office (not sharing the same phone number). Is this still true? Is there a work around?

If a business has two offices in the same city can they use the same phone number? Or in general should a business really buy separate phone lines for every office even if they route all calls to one person? What about using a Google voice number? 

Just looking for some options and thoughts on how harmful it could be to use one phone number.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I think yes you should go for the different phones, caz you also need to verfy that in Google places. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ashley R,

Locations with duplicate phone numbers or overall location information typically do not perform as well. I suggest investing in a second phone number if you are dedicated to improving your ranking in the map pack. Each office should have a differentiating factor in the location name (ex: Papa Johns - East End) in addition to the different phone numbers.

Hope this helps!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ashley D,

Thanks for your response! You mention that you should include a differentiating factor relating to the location in the "location name". What did you mean by location name?

I know Google's Guidelines advise you to never include on your Google local listing "Location information" within your business name unless it is part of your actual business name itself. Maybe you weren't referring to the Google listing name. I'd love to hear your feedback