AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Against Google's Terms for a Business to Have Map Listing if they're inside a Rec Center?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

One of my clients is a dance studio that has multiple locations; one of the locations is inside a community rec center. Students pay my client to come every week to dance in this studio, which my client rents from the rec center. Is it against Google's terms for my client to have a map listing for this location? Currently, they do not have a listing for this location on Google, but have one on Yelp, and they were told it's against Google's terms for them to list this location. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Against Google's Terms for a Business to Have Map Listing if they're inside a Rec Center?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Yes it would be against Google My Business guidelines and also Google MapMaker guidelines.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Re: Against Google's Terms for a Business to Have Map Listing if they're inside a Rec Center?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for responding... in what ways or why would it be against their
guidelines?

*Jennifer Augustus*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
What are other ways this location can market itself on Google maps if they're unable to have a maps listing?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
From the Google My Business guidelines, places that are ineligible for a listing include:

An ongoing service, class, or meeting at a location that you don't own or have the authority to represent.
https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177?hl=en

From the MapMaker guidelines, meeting places are not allowed.
https://support.google.com/mapmaker/answer/2642650?hl=en

You would need to target organic results with traditional SEO efforts or you can also use AdWords. They can't really be represented on Google Maps.

Owner of Sterling Sky

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I see... So the business would be eligible if they rented from the rec center to use the space and had a suite number like you would in a plaza or office building? This doesn't apply to office buildings where people lease the space, does it?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
When offices lease space, they are there all the time regularly throughout the week so the address is an appropriate representation of their business. For groups that meet once a week for a few hours, it's a bit different since they could easily shift where they meet and their business isn't tied to that place they meet. This is why their address isn't permanent and can't be listed.

You are correct that this doesn't apply to buildings where people rent a space and are there during work hours.

Owner of Sterling Sky