AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
3K members online now
3K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Adding a description to a business map marker

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I manage a business page, which is connected to a physical location on Google Maps. Recently, I noticed that a competitor had a description listed under their business name when you were looking at their map marker. I searched their description and saw that it turned up on all of their Google Plus pages as well, under the review section, and was cited as being a comment from Google. Does anyone have an idea of how a business gets a description like this and how to have it placed under a map marker?

Image 01

Image 02

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Annika N
December 2015

Re: Adding a description to a business map marker

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Annika N

this is done algorithmically by Google and there is nothings you can do to enforce getting (or avoiding to get) such infos attached to your local presence on Maps

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Annika N
December 2015

Re: Adding a description to a business map marker

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Annika N

this is done algorithmically by Google and there is nothings you can do to enforce getting (or avoiding to get) such infos attached to your local presence on Maps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

As a small struggling business, I think "algorithmic" rules are not fair or supportive at all.  We should be able to POST our own map tag. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@Helmut Geissler, thanks for the direct answer. I agree that Google saying 'our algorithm is beyond our control' sounds careless. 

This looks like a flaw in Google's new initiative to make Google My Business a product. It's frustrating to not have input into this comment feature. Even more so when a GMB listing and the map pin have inaccurate comments, which are somewhat negative. 

What is more unfair is that most of the local competitors have NO text descriptions. We'd rather have nothing than what Google has 'selected' for us. From what I've been told by our GMB support contacts is that a) they really don't know where in the algo this came from and b) they can't fix it (or have not yet prioritized the issue).