My Business
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

A search for my business type and area code, does not yield my business...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am flabbergasted and confused at how google is indexing my site.

I own an escape room, and manage a website: www.projectescaperoom.com in the area code of 19403.

This is outside philadelphia, and there are only 3 other businesses in the area that do what I do.

When I search for 'escape room' and enter my area code my website isn't even listed.

In fact. an escape room that isn't even open yet is listed!  How is that possible? 

The rest of the rooms listed are miles away in the actual city of philadelphia.  

We have been open for 2 months now, and have been running an ad on google adwords for a month. 

I have done everything google has suggested in terms of increasing our presence on google, to no avail.  

What could these other sites be doing that I am not?  

Thanks very much for the help.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: A search for my business type and area code, does not yield my business...

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Project E

First issue I see, is that you say area code : 19403

But the business page you created and verified has area code as : 19428

If I search escape room Conshohocken philadelphia, you are front and center, even though your website is positioned at number 4, which is something you want to be working on .

screencapture (22).png

When I search just escape room philadelphia you are nowhere to be found on Maps, which leads me to believe you are actually outside of what Google would consider as philadelphia ( your website is nowhere to be found for this eaither )

So if i check what Google see's as Philadelphia, you can see that you are out of the boundary.

screencapture (23).png

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello (again) @Project E,

Also as mentioned in a previous thread, you have minimal citations on other 3rd party sites that act as trust signals supporting the data that you've supplied Google via GMB and onsite. As mentioned by @Tim Capper, you are outside of the physical area of Philadelphia so you are competing uphill with the escape rooms located in Philly. There is a nearer competitor located in King of Prussia that is doing Google Adwords with the location extension enabled giving them a purple branded pin in Local Search results, so if you'd like that purple pin you may want to consider paid advertising. 

Also called out in the earlier thread, you could improve your page load speed which is factor. I'd recommend starting by running a report using google's new site testing tool.

Hope this helps,

Meghan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I was recently doing adwords, but just recently canceled it (as it wasn't doing as much as I hoped, and the cost built up quickly without bringing in new business).

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=escape%20rooms%2019428&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=39941181,-75165955,...

This search should yield my room SOMEWHERE? right? I am just trying to understand what I did not do correctly...and why my room does not show up here.

If I am 'outside' of philadelphia (which i dont care too much search wise) why can the philadelphia (and new jersey for that matter) search results appear in a 19428 search (which is 20 miles outside philly).

Again, I am just trying to figure out what they are doing that I did not.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I looked at the competitors in this example and referring back to the help section for Improving Local Ranking:

Prominence

Prominence refers to how well-known a business is. Some places are more prominent in the offline world, and search results try to reflect this in local ranking. For example, famous museums, landmark hotels, or well-known store brands that are familiar to many people are also likely to be prominent in local search results.

Prominence is also based on information that Google has about a business from across the web (like links, articles, and directories). Google review count and score are factored into local search ranking: more reviews and positive ratings will probably improve a business's local ranking. Your position in web results is also a factor, so SEO best practices also apply to local search optimization. There's no way to request or pay for a better local ranking on Google. We do our best to keep the details of the search algorithm confidential to make the ranking system as fair as possible for everyone.

Likely your competitors have better prominence. For example, Amazing Escape Room in Philadelphia is using a service provided by Yext to manage directory listings and also has substantial amount of reviews; Escape The 1980s - Escape Room Game has 79 reviews. All 4 of these businesses have likely had their websites up and optimized for longer than Project E. So I would still stick with the recommendations provided by James in the original thread as a starting point for optimization to increase your visibility. Last but not least, SEO is not an overnight fix and even if you did everything recommended today, you'll likely be waiting to rank - building trust and authority takes time.

Best regards,

Meghan