AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2K members online now
2K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

2 locations but one must be primary for keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My clients has 2 locations (same company name). The first is the old location, by the end of 2017 they will leave there. The second location is the new one, and they like to have that more in picture. Their website is perfectly structured for their target keywords. Combining those keywords with their company name as a search team in google; it's results now always in displaying the first location in the right sidebar (those Google MB).

Is there a way that we can overrule that and make the new location primary on company searches (also in combination with keywords).

Another option is to remove the first location in GMB, but rather not.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dave L
October 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Dave
Unfortunately there isn't a handy setting somewhere to emphasise the priority of one location over another.

Part of that is because the algorithm that determines which listing shows counts heavily the location closest to the searcher.  So if you were to experiment with this, being physically closer to the second store should give you the second store as a result.  And if you're closer to the first, you should see the first. All other things being equal, of course.

When you say you're combining the keywords with the company name - I assume you're doing that from the same physical location?  If so, it's likely you're getting a skewed result.

Another factor of which page will show will be things like the age of the

listing - older pages have more authority than younger pages.

And, of course, there's the personalisation of search results.

There are literally hundreds of factors that determine the orders and "preference" of listings, but these are three biggies we know about.

Does that give you enough info to explain to the client?

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Margaret O · Google My Business Top Contributor

Find me on · · my blog

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dave L
October 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Dave
Unfortunately there isn't a handy setting somewhere to emphasise the priority of one location over another.

Part of that is because the algorithm that determines which listing shows counts heavily the location closest to the searcher.  So if you were to experiment with this, being physically closer to the second store should give you the second store as a result.  And if you're closer to the first, you should see the first. All other things being equal, of course.

When you say you're combining the keywords with the company name - I assume you're doing that from the same physical location?  If so, it's likely you're getting a skewed result.

Another factor of which page will show will be things like the age of the

listing - older pages have more authority than younger pages.

And, of course, there's the personalisation of search results.

There are literally hundreds of factors that determine the orders and "preference" of listings, but these are three biggies we know about.

Does that give you enough info to explain to the client?

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on · · my blog

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Dave L

if a location will open in begin of 2017 you are violating their guidelines having created and veryfied it in advance.

Now you are affected bu its bad consequences.

Once the new location is life and open to the public report the old location as closes or moved too.

There will be alos an option then to redirect all search results now still pointing to the old location getting redirected to the new location

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

sorry

@MargaretO

I didn't noticed you answered it already

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Helmut Geissler No worries. All good.

Find me on · · my blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Helmut, don't worry. The new location is already open for 2 years so we're not in any way violating the guidelines. The thing is: now they have 2 locations with the same name; a family name. And they are slowly building off their business in the oldest location. It's logic that they rather see Google present their new location when searching for 'the family name' + keyword. At this moment, that's a bummer...

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Dave,

You might be able to control this a bit better by changing the domain that you link to in GMB. I'm assuming they both link to the homepage? Link the location you DON'T want to rank as high to an inner page on the site. Maybe one that mentions the location itself. Then link the newer one to the homepage and it should help it's ranking power.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual