AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2K members online now
2K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

1 company, 2 business websites

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I work for a company that runs two business websites from one office. The products of the two websites complement each other but aren't the same, think one site sells shoes the other sells clothing.

Our SEO agency one said Google will penalise us for linking from one site to the other, for example, in the footers. Is this true? 

As one site gets twice as much traffic and has a lot more brand recognition, I'd like to leverage its success to promote my second site. Any suggestions without poking the Google lion?

Thanks for your help.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
November 2015

Re: 1 company, 2 business websites

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Emma W

Thanks for clarifying your question.

But we deal here about any issues with  G+ business pages of Google My Business

Any other and website related questions you would better do asking the experts of the Webmaster Central Help Forum  or the Google Search Help Forum

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
to understand you better:
YOu are asking about two websites and linking each other - do you?
YOu are not talking about G+ Pages of the business (or businesses)?
Please clarify

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, I'm referring to linking to two different websites (same IP address), not their G+ pages. If you're at all interested, this is the response I got from an SEO expert: To answer your question - it depends really (not helpful I know). When deciding if it is a good/bad idea to link sites together, you should consider the following: * Which is the priority site? - so in this case it's the SB website (it has less pages, but more authority), so any links coming inbound need to be from relevant/clean sites (what is RL backlink profile like and vice versa?) * Following on - looking at quality and checking backlink profiles for each site: If the site is in good nick, you would be fine to link to and from. But, if the site is v low quality, or has a backlink profile filled with spam it's not a good idea as you wouldn't want to associate with it. I can look into this if it helps? * Look at referrals - if you are getting visits from SB to RL and vice versa then it's definitely worth having a link. You could always test this in GA if you want by adding a link for a month or so. * If unsure, and you do not want to share link/site authority with RL from SB, you can always link but nofollow it. It depends what the objective is, I assume you want both sites to gain authority, but you could just link from RL to SB if that is the main priority. * Also ask the question do you want the user to experience the sites as two separate entities? I would think no as I'm sure you would want the user to be able to discover the full range of products even if aimed at slightly different consumers. * Looking at examples there are plenty of big sites who link to sister/parent companies. For example, the men's fashion site Mr Porter (an old client of mine), link to their female equivalent Net-A-Porter with a follow link. It's relevant as they are the same company. * I know that's a lot of think about, but my advice is really do what you think is best for the user. Google can understand if a site is related and is part of the same company (for example both RL and SB have nearly identical IP addresses), so it's fine to link in my opinion. * The above applies to all linkbuilding really. In the end ask if it will benefit the user, or if it seems irrelevant. Google usually sees things in this way. * You only wouldn't want to link if the sites are totally different and aimed at completely different audiences. In the article you sent it advises that linking more than 50 or so sites together looks suspicious and begins to look like a link farm. I would definitely agree with this. I can see benefits of linking SB and RL together. It's up to you if you want to link from just RL to SB or both. I don't think it will matter too much to be honest! But like I said, you can test, and look at referral numbers.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Emma W

Thanks for clarifying your question.

But we deal here about any issues with  G+ business pages of Google My Business

Any other and website related questions you would better do asking the experts of the Webmaster Central Help Forum  or the Google Search Help Forum