Data Studio
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border
Reply

"System Error" after changing name of calculated metric in Data Source

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, 

 

This happened for me today, too. Here are the steps I took:

 

1. Click "pencil" icon in report next to data source

2. Data source pane pops up

3. Edit metric name (this was a CASE WHEN statement)

4. Metric turns into a dimension even though the data type says "Number" and Aggregation is "Auto"

5. Report breaks with various system errors across widgets (e.g. 42d92b23, d9e03515, 3d73d5b1)

6. I attempt to fix the dimension by changing the data type or aggregation. Nothing works and it stays as a dimension

7. I change the formula to SUM(CASE WHEN xyz). This works to make it a metric

8. The report is still broken

 

Any similar issues? Any ideas what is going on? I've cleared my cookies and cache, I disabled the cache option in the report, I tried creating a new report with the same data source and am getting the same errors, etc. I would create a new report with a new data source connection (but the same data source) but I'm having issues connecting that specific data source as well (see my other thread in here)...

 

Any help would be appreciated!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tanya C
February 2017

"System Error" after changing name of calculated metric in Data Source

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

This is a longshot, but do the names of any of your fields start with characters that aren't letters? I've seen issues crop up when with fields that start with an underscore or a number. Renaming those fields always seemed to fix the errors.

 

Could maybe be what's going on here?

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tanya C
February 2017

"System Error" after changing name of calculated metric in Data Source

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

This is a longshot, but do the names of any of your fields start with characters that aren't letters? I've seen issues crop up when with fields that start with an underscore or a number. Renaming those fields always seemed to fix the errors.

 

Could maybe be what's going on here?

"System Error" after changing name of calculated metric in Data Source

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Unfortunately not. There is a hyphen "-" in between. I will try to remove that character and see what happens

"System Error" after changing name of calculated metric in Data Source

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Tanya

 

Dimensions can be numbers, but there is no aggregation (I would think the Aggregation field should be set to "none" not "auto" here).

 

What is the CASE formula you are using? Was this working before you edited it?

 

Best

 

Rick

 

Are those error codes links? 

 

"System Error" after changing name of calculated metric in Data Source

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rick,

 

I took your advice and changed ALL of my dimension and metric names to remove any characters (for ex, I had a field that started with "%"). This worked. The weird part is, my entire report was working before with the same nomenclature, so I'm not sure why last night made it any different.

 

I think you are right about the Aggregation piece for a dimension, that was just poor memory on my part Smiley Happy

 

The error codes I listed were not links. Clicking on the details button, I received a message something along the lines of "We were not able to compute your data".

 

I'll resolve this post, knowing to be careful about titles with characters for the future. Thanks for the insight!