star_border

% of Sessions Calculated Field

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi All,

I am trying to make a calculate field for the following table

1.JPG

I want instead numbers of session to see % of the total as it will make more sense, but not sure how to do that,

Would you please help me?

Kind regards,

Krassi

1 Expert replyverified_user

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

any help on this?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Add two pie charts? One for female one for male? 

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I'd like to know this too. I've had quite a few end-users asking me if I can add it into my reports.

Re: % of Sessions Calculated Field

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi Krassi,

Unfortunately, while what you want to do seems quite reasonable, it's not as straightforward as one might think at first. This is because of how Google Analytics aggregates data. This screenshot illustrates the issue:

aggregated-metrics.pngAggregated sessions vs. total sessions 

On the left, we've got  your table, showing the Affinity Category (reach) dimension, grouped by gender, with the sessions for each of those pairs. On the right is the Sessions metric scorecard. Even a cursory glance will show that those numbers don't seem to match. That's because in this instance, those aren't unique sessions in the table. I.e., a given session might be counted in more than Reach/Gender combination.

So the first problem is even if you could calculate the percentage of a given Reach/Gender combo, the total would be a lot more than 100%, so it wouldn't make sense.

The issue is more generalized, though, because in order to do these kinds of calculations, you really need to get down to the individual record level, but most GA data is already aggregated by the time it gets to either the GA front end or to Data Studio. So it really depends on what dimensions and metrics you're trying to work with and in this case, I'm not sure this is possible.

If you haven't seen it already, you might find some inspiration in the Conditional calculated fields article.

Hope this helps!

Rick

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Rick, 

thank you for the detailed reply, really appreciate it. I fully agree, as my example wasn't proper, didn't check that some people could have cross interests and it is normal the % to be more than 100% and it could confuse the reader.

In general, it could be handy for metrics that could be aggregated in 100%, for example, mobile devices ( where let's say 50% mobile, 30% desktop and 20% tablet) it could be handy when table is presented, user to be able to present shares (proportion), The only way now is using pies, which sometimes is not the best solution.

Thank you for the help and enjoy your weekend,

Kind regards,

Krassi