Data Studio
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

images.google.fr in Referral instead of in Generic Paid Search...

N/A
# 1
N/A

Hi everyone,

I have 'images.google.fr' in referral site but if i look in the help it would be in 'Generic Paid Search'.

Can you explain me how to ensure that this goes well in SEO please ?

Thanks in advance

Anne-Laure

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: images.google.fr in Referral instead of in Generic Paid Search...

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Anne-Laure,

Your question is a bit confusing. I understand you have visits from 'images.google.fr' - those should really be identified as coming from organic search results (ie. non-paid). I am not sure where you got 'Generic Paid Search' -- a translation mixup?

Sometimes visits from various google search properties appear as referrals instead of as organic search; I think this is because of the user's browser/device and how it handles the redirect/referral to your website.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

N/A
# 3
N/A
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your answer.

In deed i would like to say Organic and not Generic Paid Search (sorry for the mistake).

About your explaination of "this is because of the user's browser/device and how it handles the redirect/referral to your website", have you more details please?

BR

Anne-Laure

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
In the web, a referral is something that the end user's browser sends to your web site -- it is optional and determined by the user's browser. All that GA can do is to receive it and try to interpret it. GA reads that information and tries to determine if it was 'referred' from a search engine, in which case it classifies it as organic search.

In most cases, GA can interpret it properly, but sometimes the sending website modified the referral information as the browser leaves the site, or the browser doesn't quite get it the way it was intended. Depending on how the browser viewed the image, and what steps were taken to get to your site, it is possible for GA to get something that isn't interpreted consistently. Maybe switching from http to https or back. Maybe a website redirect along the way.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Mike.
Is there a way for it to fil directly into Organic Search?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Google Analytics should put it into organic Search if that is what the traffic is. Why it sometimes doesn't...well, I don't know why...but sometimes it doesn't.