2.3K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

how to stop Data Studio report from running queries in background

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We setup a report in Data Studio using BigQuery view for data source. We noticed that every day the systems runs the heavy query and inquire costs on BigQuery. We don't open the report for weeks, and each day the query runs. We are fine with manual refresh when we open the report, but don't know how to turn this background feature off.

1. We do want to find the setting how can we tell the interval for this feature.
2. Or we want to pause the report, so no automatic update is executed and be manual.

Anyone able to help on this?
1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Marton K
March 2017

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Marton,

Data Studio is retrieving the data from BQ because you have the cache enabled, which prefetches data on a 12 hour interval. You can read more here: https://support.google.com/360suite/datastudio/answer/7020039?hl=en.

If you turn the cache off, the report won't prefetch the data, but viewers won't have the benefits of the prefetched data.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Dave,

On this topic, I have potentially very large dataset when our app launches but am concerned about the potential costs of querying my BQ tables. I've been testing both the cache on and off but both result in countless queries when I view the dashboards.  I'm considering developing aggregated sample tables to overcome this.

Have you suggestions of best practice of whether to caching or not when you have huge datasets to ensure data studio does not result in high bills outside aggregating.

Thanks

Lace

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Lace,

The cache is most effective when viewing the dashboard. The cache generates a system of mini-cubes based on the filters on the page. If it takes a lot of data to answer all possible queries (say there's a large date range), the the query will miss the cache and hit the underlying table (you can read more on caching here: https://support.google.com/datastudio/answer/7020039?hl=en). Unfortunately, we don't yet have the ability to set cache size or cache refresh rate.

Does your data update on a certain frequency? If not, the best advice is to generate an aggregate table that can power the dashboard. If the data updates regularly (say clickstream data), you can turn caching on and as long as the date range isn't large and there aren't high-cardinality dimensions, queries should hit the cache. In this case, however, Data Studio will query your table every 12 hours in order to generate the cache.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Dave

this is some really important information on how GDS works, it will be nice for your guys to provide more documentation, for example we know virtually nothing what technology power GDS  

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Martion, i'm curious about the costs related to retrieving data from BQ into GDS. Can you share some information. I have a single table (100 MB) with 30 columns. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In March 2018 a terabyte query costs just $5, and the first terabyte is free every month.