3.5K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

difference between Site - URL impressions for search Console

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, i have a question, what is the difference between Site impression and URL impression for the datasource in Search Console pages, because both reports show different traffic, similar in behaviour but different in quantity of clicks and impressions (site impression is exactly the same traffic as shown in my search console data)

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author andres felipe j
June

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Andres, 

I have just been asking myself the same question and came across this:

Search Console data available through the Connector

Once you connect your Search Console to Data Studio (see instructions) you will have two different tables to connect: Url Impression and Site Impression. The main difference between the tables is that the Url table has the Landing Page dimension, while the Site table has the Average Position metric. Here is an image showing the schema for both (read more on the SC Help).

Search Console data source

I recommend you create two separate sources, one for each table; this will enable you to use them alternatively in the same report...

http://online-behavior.com/analytics/search-console-data-studio

Hopefully that helps, goodluck!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Andres, 

I've been asking myself the same question and came across this answer below:

Search Console data available through the Connector

Once you connect your Search Console to Data Studio (see instructions) you will have two different tables to connect: Url Impression and Site Impression. The main difference between the tables is that the Url table has the Landing Page dimension, while the Site table has the Average Position metric. Here is an image showing the schema for both (read more on the SC Help).

Search Console data source

I recommend you create two separate sources, one for each table; this will enable you to use them alternatively in the same report...

http://online-behavior.com/analytics/search-console-data-studio

Hopefully that helps, goodluck!

Re: difference between Site - URL impressions for search Console

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am still confused as to why these numbers would be different. Could someone explain why that might be? The top row is the URL Data Source and the bottom row is the Site Data Source in Search Console. 

Capture.PNG

Re: difference between Site - URL impressions for search Console

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey MegaMikeJr,

I have just had a look into this in my own search console. 

I believe URL clicks is the data you will see in your PAGES report within GSC.

Site clicks only is the data you will see in your queries report within GSC.

Note the difference below, I had the exact same data range (last 28 days) and looked at click performance for pages, and search queries to see if there was a difference, here:

Clicks.PNGPages.PNG

Queries had fewer clicks than pages, which is what I believe you are seeing in your 'URL' and 'Site' data.

Hope that makes sense :-)

Welcoming any other theories!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was curious about this myself and finally found the following from Google Support:

• For impressions, if a site appears twice on a search results page when aggregating by site, it counts as a single impression; if grouping by page or search appearance, each unique page is counted separately.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The difference is explained here: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/6155685

"

Aggregating data by site vs by page

If you group, filter, or compare by page or search appearance, all metrics in the report are aggregated by page; otherwise, all metrics are aggregated by site.

• For impressions, if a site appears twice on a search results page when aggregating by site, it counts as a single impression; if grouping by page or search appearance, each unique page is counted separately.
  • For clicks, if a site appears twice in search results when grouped by site, and the user clicks on one link, backs up, then clicks the other link, it counts as a single click, since the final destination is the same site.
  • For position, when aggregating by site, the topmost position of your property in search results is reported; when grouped by page or search appearance, the topmost position of the page in search results is reported.

When aggregating data by site, the site is the true target of the search results link, which might not be the same as the displayed URL, as determined by Google's skip redirect behavior

Because of the different accounting methods, the click-through rate and average position are higher when aggregating by site if multiple pages from the same site appear in the search results. For example, imagine that search results for "fun pets for children" returns only the following three results, all from the same site, and that users click each of them with equal frequency:"