1.5K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

always invalid formula when adding a new calculated field

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Currently I have 2 data sources that have the same format, I successfully added a calculated field on one data source but when adding it to the other data source, it failed with 'invalid formula' message. I have also tested some very simple formula on the second data source but the same error message came out. Not really sure what's the issue, anyone got any idea?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Yuyun,

Can you share what the formula is you are trying to do? What is the data source type (e.g. Google Analytics, Sheets, BigQuery)?

Rick

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the response. Basically I was trying to segment user age from 0-9, 10-19, ... using the 'CASE WHEN THEN WHEN THEN ELSE END' syntax, but then 'invalid formula' returns. The data source type is BigQuery, it is synchronized from my firebase analytics data. I have successfully applied the same formula on other data source (which has the same format and fields, the only difference is the hosting server of the mobile app). I have also tested with some simple formula like concat(App Platform, ' 123') and it failed.