Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Year Month Bug

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys, 

Not sure if this is a bug or not, but it seems like the Year Month dimension isn't functioning correctly. 

See in this screenshot the text of what is being given to the Year Month dimension calculated field, and the result of the Year Month Dimension. I was expecting the result to be Oct 2016, Nov 2016, Dec 2016, but as you can see they are one month back from what I expected. 

Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 3.02.00 PM.png

Here is the setup of the fields in the data sources

Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 3.02.18 PM.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andrew D
February 2017

Year Month Bug

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok I finally figured this out after some more trial and error. The field that you are setting as Year Month, needs to have the days as well as the year and month. So in the example above you need to have '%Y%m%d' as the last parameter of the TODATE formula. 

Still needs to be fixed, but at least there is a workaround now : )

View solution in original post

Year Month Bug

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Also is there anyway to report this sort of stuff with screenshots using the send feedback feature that is available on the google data studio homepage? I can only find the send feedback feature on the homepage, and not when I'm actually working on the reports. 

Year Month Bug

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I submitted feedback but still haven't heard anything back yet. The problem still exists.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andrew D
February 2017

Year Month Bug

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok I finally figured this out after some more trial and error. The field that you are setting as Year Month, needs to have the days as well as the year and month. So in the example above you need to have '%Y%m%d' as the last parameter of the TODATE formula. 

Still needs to be fixed, but at least there is a workaround now : )

Year Month Bug

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

One more workaround I can say, If you wish to see year month format. Write formula as TODATE(<date column>, 'DEFAULT_DASH', "%Y-%m") and make it's type as Text.

Note: Make sure your data date date format is (YYYY-MM-DD).

Year Month Bug

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Problem is that the MONTH function returns only one digit for the first 9th months and that YEAR MONTH operator needs yyyymm data. This leads to odd bahviour with some months being well recognised but not the other ones.