Data Studio
2K members online now
2K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Why does audience overview and users by day of week show different user numbers?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Riddle me this, Batman, (or some other Google Analytics super hero) why would my audience overview report show 85 users and my users by day of week report show 99 users for the same time period? These are the types of things that keep me awake at nights. Well, those, and all those late night re-runs of Frazier.

Why does audience overview and users by day of week show different user numbers?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

In your audience overview report, are you looking at it by day or by the full time range? I think it's likely a question of unique users. 

In your audience report, you might look at how many users you had in a week period and see 85. But then if you break it down by day in the day of week report, some of those users might have returned and are counted on both Monday and Tuesday's numbers (but are only counted once in the audience report since the days aren't listed separately). 

Re: Why does audience overview and users by day of week show different user numbers?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you! I didn't know that the day of week report included returning visitors.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

It depends what metric is included in your report. If it's "users" than it's all users (including those returning). It's only if it's "new users" or "new sessions" that it wouldn't.