Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Weird pageviews metrics

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi all, 

We have been having issue because we have very low bounce rate in some landing pages. We discovered that in almost all the cases the previous page is the same landing page (like a redirect).

For validating this behavior we created a custom metric for counting homepage visits and we added an event for the same reason. So, for a normal execution the three metrics (pagewiews, custom metric, event) should be equal (or very close). If I debug the analytics execution I get it fires the 3 events as we expect.

analytics-debug-execution.pngGoogle Analytics debug result

If we check the data from last Friday to Yesterday (1 week) we get:

All visits
- Event: 460.948
- Pageviews: 463,585
- Custom metric: 460.990

events-total.pngOne event hit when an user access to the page

pageviews-custom-total.pngOne custom metric hit when user access to the page

Visits coming only from entrance or the same homepage (redirect?)
- Pageviews (from entrance): 258.724
- Pageviews (from /es-cr): 198.241
- Pageviews (total): 456.965
- Custom metric (from entrance): 7.239
- Custom metric (from /es-cr): 453.412
- Custom metric (total): 460.651

pageviews-custom-previous-page.png

Thanks, 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Weird pageviews metrics

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
And your question is...???

Note that by adding your custom metric and event with a second, non-Interaction=false hit, you are causing a second interaction to record the custom metric and event. This is why most of the custom metrics are seen as coming from the page, not from an entrance. Are you causing your problem by adding your measurements? What was there before?

Include the custom metric in the first pageview hit, and add the event as a non-interaction=true hit.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Mike, thanks for your answer.

Yes, the event was affecting bounce, it decreased from 37% to 0.4%. When I changed the "non-interion hit" to true it comes back to 37% bpunce rate. The thing is it still showing weird data. Check this:

Captura de pantalla 2016-08-16 a las 2.03.02 p.m..png

For us, having 42% pageviews coming from the same page looks weird. This is the new GA log:

Captura de pantalla 2016-08-16 a las 2.07.48 p.m..png

Which the questions is? May be it's a normal behavior, I just would like to discard an error in our implementation.

Thanks, 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Somehow I think the problem will be in the second part - the event hit. Maybe it is being seen as a pageview hit as well....
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Mike. Sorry I get lost. What is the second part?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Sorry, I hadn't reread the whole thread.

Are you running GTM and analytics.js tracking on the same page? Is that where the second page views comes from?