Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Weird Area Chart Behavior

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

When trying to create an Area Chart I am getting the below behavior when using Linear Interpolation for missing data. All of my data is on the first of the month (Monthly totals), is there anyway to get an Area Chart to render correctly ?

Thanks in advance

Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 12.21.10 PM.png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am experiencing same. Sometime within the past 8 weeks, stacked area charts using linear interpolation reverted to stacked data points.

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Can you try setting your data type for this date to Year Month?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Dave,

Thanks, that seemed to work. However, one issue is that any table or graph that uses the previous period breaks when using YYYYMM, and the Date Range Selector also won't accept YYYYMM as a Date Range Property.

Would it make sense to just duplicate the data source and switch one to YYYYMM for the graphs that need it in this format, and leave all the others as YYYYMMDD ?

Thanks again 

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi Ian,

Another solution would be to make a new field (field B) in the data source, have that new field just be equal to the old date field (field A), and then have field A be YYYYMM and field B be YYYYMMDD. Then you can just use field A in the places you need months, and field B in the places you need days.

Re: Weird Area Chart Behavior

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Dave. 

This helps but makes the Date Range Dimension "Invalid" and creates breaks in the chart plot when a Breakdown Dimension value is zero.

Breaks in plot.png