Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Visual Area of the Map

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I just want to see the U.S. 

It's showing the whole world and there's lots of blank space outside the map area. 

Changing the countries / continents in Change Visual Area doesn't make any difference that matters, although it seems to move things around a little. 

I used the magnifying glass to select an area- I tried U.S.A. and pressed enter and Kansas City and pressed enter - that had no effect whatsoever. 

I'm in the latest version of Chrome on a MacBook Pro.  

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Visual Area of the Map

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Brigid,
if you click on the table below the map on United States you will drill down on the report, the new page that will show has a map with only US and detail by states

Fil

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Filtro -
Sorry, I do not follow "the table below the map on ...."
There is no table below the map.

In the map options there is Geo Map Properties which are not making a difference.
The search function in that area doesn't work at all.

I did click below the map of the US - nothing happens.
Once I am in the map, the cursor changes to crossbar arrows - I cannot reposition the map within the map box.
Using the space bar, Command, Shift, Control or Option, add nothing while I am trying to move the map or expand it.

Would you expand your answer a bit?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Brigid

do you have the table highlighted on the screenshot belowScreen Shot 2016-06-06 at 12.47.44.png

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello -On your viz, there is a table below your map.
On my viz, there is no table below the map - anywhere on my viz.

On my map, mostly the US has color, a little in Canada and no where else in the world has color.

Does that answer your question?

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hi Brigid,

You're talking about the Geo Map in Data Studio, right? I believe Filtro is looking at Google Analytics.

What exactly do you want to do? You can limit the scope of the geo map to just the US by using a filter on the country dimension eq "United States". That will show the US as the active region of the map, but it will still show the rest of the world on the map. (I don't think it's possible to have a single country on the geo map).

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Rick! Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I'm talking about the Geo Map in D.S. (My screen shows I"m in the Data Studio - Reports subform.)

I have tried limiting the scope of the geo map to US by using the standard options.
I have not used a filter until now.
Under filter - the only option is to create a new one.
Is there documentation on how to do this?
I tried your comments above, it didn't work. I tried playing around with it - I can't get it to change.

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee

Hi Brigid,

The filter property is documented here: https://support.google.com/360suite/datastudio/answer/6291066. 

Here's a screenshot of the filter I created:

country-filter.pngFilter example

That created a geo map like this:

Screen Shot 2016-06-06 at 10.06.47 AM.pngMap example

Depending on what you want to accomplish, you might also look into the GEO functions in https://support.google.com/360suite/datastudio/table/6379764?hl=en

Hope this helps!

Rick

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Rick!

Many thanks!!!

Hey, your first link is dead : (

Although I couldn't get the filter to work, your results basically look like mine, which I'd prefer were more specific.
I will take a look at the GEO functions you mentioned.

Thanks again!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Screen Shot 2016-06-06 at 6.09.15 PM.png

P.S. your map is formatted much better than mine - after I used your filter, it didn't change all the blank space around the map - yours doesn't have it. I tried changing the outside shape - it doesn't seem to matter. The inside just get smaller.

Do you have any ideas about what I might do to fix that up?