AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

VIew only US data from google analytics

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi, I am building a report for a global ecommerce website. I'd like to have a section with UD sales and engagement data from google analytics. Do I do this via filter or segment or other?

Please advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mercedes L
May 2017

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Segments probably aren't updated in DS in realtime perhaps, but the fastest solution is what Dru recommended earlier in this thread.  Simply apply a Report Filter in DS directly to only show traffic when Country = US

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

You can do that by clicking on Geo on left panel and selecting Location. From there you can select "United States" in the countries column.

You can select two views:

1. Map Overlay

2. Explorer

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Vaibhav

Re: VIew only US data from google analytics

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Could you send me a screenshot with geo and location on the left panel
please -- i cannot find them

Dru
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Dru
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@Mercedes L

Within data studio (top widget bar) there is a geo map and/or table widget - select one of these to use. ( Suggest the table )

Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 1.43.11 PM.png

After you implement the table or geo map, there will be an option within the right sidebar to create a filter for that widget. Create a new filter for the table or geo map.

Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 1.43.52 PM.png

Within the filter options, you want to create a U.S only filter to pull in that data. See below. 

Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 1.44.32 PM.png

After that, you should now be displaying US data only. From there you can add different metrics and dimensions to pull in the data you want. Hope this helps. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

@Mercedes L,

Here is how you can do it in Google Analytics.

Analytics.jpeg

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@Mercedes L

You have 2 ways, you can do a filter in Data Studio, and/or you can do a segment in Google Analytics that you can use after in your report Data Studio

To made a segment in Google Analytics : 

When you are on the homepage of GAnalytics, under the top navigation, click on "New Segment"

Click on the red button "+New Segment"

Give the name "UD sales"
For Geographic area, select "Country" contains "United States"

Click on the button "Save". 

It's done, your segment "UD sales" is saved

In Data Studio, when you are using a Google analytics Data Source, in the configuration of each chart, you have a "Google analytics segment". 

Click on "Add  a segment" and select your segment "UD sales" that you created. 

You can also in Data Studio, as said @Dru, create a filter "UD sales"

See the filter

For my part, i will create the segment in Google Analytics, then i can use it in Google Analytics and in Data Studio too Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

@Mercedes L

To track a specific region, create a view for just that data, and apply the following filter to that view:

Filter Type: Custom filter > Include

Filter Field: Country

Filter Pattern: Argentina|Australia|Brazil|China|Hong Kong|India|Indonesia|Japan|Mexico|New Zealand|South Korea|Taiwan

In your case, Filter Pattern: US

If you want, you can also refer to Following article,

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034773?hl=en

You can also do this by adding a New Segment:

1. Click on Add segment on top of your screen.

1.png

2. Click on "New Segment" and Give it a name.

2.png

3. At the bottom, Find the attribute named Location: Click on Continent and from the drop down, Select Country.

3.png

4. Click on the empty box next to contains; A drop down will appear with names of Countries,

From that drop down: Select United States.

Save it and you are good to go.

PS: You can select other attributes like Age Group and Gender etc. In case you want to.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Thanks,

Vaibhav

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the details. I created the US Segment in Google Analytics. When I try to add the 'Google Analytics Segment' to a chart in the Data Studio report, it gives me the option to choose between 'System Segments' and 'Shared Segments'. The segment I created does not appear even after refreshing the browser multiple times. Please advice.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mercedes L
May 2017

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Segments probably aren't updated in DS in realtime perhaps, but the fastest solution is what Dru recommended earlier in this thread.  Simply apply a Report Filter in DS directly to only show traffic when Country = US