Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Using a Geo Map with a Google Sheet in Data Studio

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have a Data Studio Report. The Data Source for this report is a Google Sheet. One of the columns in this Sheet is called "Location". I want to put data in this column that I can show in a Geo Map. I can't seem to figure out what to put in this column to use as the dimension for the Geo Map.

I tried using the Geographical IDs available here. However, I didn't have any success with that. For example, For "New York, NY", I tried using the following values in the column:

• New York
  • New York, NY

What am I missing? What should I be using?

Thank you for your help

Re: Using a Geo Map with a Google Sheet in Data Studio

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Bill,

I was able to get this working successfully from Google sheets to populate into data studio maps.
Several options seem to work with the maps:
In the type Geo we can specify the following options with corresponding values in the Google Sheets
Country - Country Name - e.g. United States
Country Code - ISO Country Code - e.g. US
Region - State Name - e.g. Texas
Region Code - State ISO Code - e.g. US-TX
City - City Name - e.g. Chicago

The only one I haven't had any luck with are the Metro ID which appear to be the 6 digit DMA region codes listed in the list you referenced above. When put in Plain text format Datastudio seems to recognise the format but not display any data on the map which shows the regions. Numeric format doesn't seem to be recognised at all (with a bank map). Strangely this seems to be working as a Metro ID coming from GA but I can't get it working from Sheets.

So if you want a country, state or city it works well, but DMA region is playing hard to get. Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This worked, but only when I create a new report. When I try to add a page to an existing report it won't configure the data correctly.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Update: What doesn't work is attempting to edit the data source after you have attached it to a report. I ended up having to log out of data studio and log back in, the reconnect to the data source.

Using a Geo Map with a Google Sheet in Data Studio

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

It seems like "starting fresh" with an updated data set and fresh dashboard has the best results. 

Updating input data in sheets manually and refreshing doesn't seem to have the right effect.