AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Using MCC Account Access to Build Google Data Studio Reports

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All - 

I can't seem to pull data from accounts in my MCC account into GDS. When I "add a new data source," I can see all my accounts in the MCC, I can then select the one I want. But then I get the below error when adding charts/visuals:

"Failed to get Data. The data source needs to be added to the report. "

I'll then re-add the source to the report with the "Fix It" link and its status changes over to "working" but when back on the report the same error is showing even after refreshing the data. 

I feel like I'm missing something totally obvious. Any help is appreciated! Thanks.
Adam
P.S. It works fine from my regular google account, just not the MCC. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adam B
July 2017

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks again Ivana. I tried all that to no avail, but searched some more and found this article, which indeed solved it.

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Data-Studio/Server-is-temporarily-unavailable-please-try-a...

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Adam,

Maybe this can help you:

One Data Source Per Chart

If you would like to add one data source per chart, you can go to “Resource” > “Manage added data sources” and there you can add all data sources you would like to have in the report. Then, when creating each chart individually, on the right side properties panel you can select the data source from the ones you have previously added in the Resource feature in the toolbar. This way you can make sure that DSB will ‘read’ the data source properly for each chart individually.

One Data Source Per Report

Alternatively, if you would like to have only one data source in one report, you can also go to File > Report settings > Data Source and add only one data source in the report.

Make sure you always refresh the browser after making changes.

Hope this helps,

Ivana

ps. If you have already created charts with currency fields (like Cost or Avg. CPC), make sure that MCC Accounts with the same currencies are included in the same report/chart. DSB cannot read various currency related metrics if you select Accounts with different currencies (eg. one Account is in $ , and another one in € ). That means you need to create 2 charts/pages/reports - one for the account(s) in $ , and another one(s) in €.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ivana - 

Thank you for the help. All what you're saying makes total sense, but the accounts from my MCC are still not pulling the data through even after adding them to the report and data sources area. I'll add them, then drag a chart over and the data connection breaks instantly. 

This is what I see. 

Then I click "Fix it". It changes to "Working", but then back on the report canvas I just see the above ^^^. 

It feels like an account access issue......? Why else would the data connection keep breaking? Not sure. Thanks again!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Adam, 

here are a few things I can think of that might also help:

1. Your are logged into Data Studio under a different email address (in a separate window), and you don't have permission to manage the data source.

2. You don't have admin rights to Adwords accounts

3. Meanwhile something has changed in the data source, you can try reconnect from the properties panel on the right side

4. Copy the report and try to add data source once again

5. Clear the cache or try using different browser

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adam B
July 2017

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks again Ivana. I tried all that to no avail, but searched some more and found this article, which indeed solved it.

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Data-Studio/Server-is-temporarily-unavailable-please-try-a...