AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Uploading and connecting weekly reports

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear Datastudio Experts,

I am currently exploring the options available to display and connect datasheets using Google Data Studio. I've run into a bit of a problem with the limitations of available options. What I am trying to do is to perform a weekly upload of an excel file.

After some tweaking I found a way to succesfully connect the data source using the dimensions and metrics to create diagrams. The problem however is that I want to be able to connect multiple datasources or find a way to have this weekly report not replace the old report.

For me it does not make a lot of sense to upload a weekly report so the dashboard would only display the data of that particular week. It needs to keep the old data so the viewer would be able to select the daterange. This is an easy thing to do when using Adwords as a datasource since the time and date is all collected and accumulated automatically. 

The only option I see is to upload a huge file that includes the data of the past weeks including the new data. Then upload that file every week to replace the datasource. Problem is, that this file is too big. A one week file is 2mb and the limit to generate the file is 20mb.

Is there another way to do this that I have overlooked? 

TL;DR want to upload a weekly dataset that would be added to the existing datasource instead of replacing it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Beheer S
June 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Beheer S

It sounds like you need to be using a database connection, what you've outlined above sounds like the perfect use case for this. As you have already suggested it's quite a tedious process to append new data each week, and the data size limitations will not work to your advantage if your looking to archive historic data. I'm assuming, by what you've described, that your data would also be too large for Google Sheets?

A database would be the way forward, the decision on which one depends on your requirements and the amount of data you'll need to store, take a look through the various options available, a MySQL database would be a good starting point, or you may want to consider Google BigQuery, which I can highly recommend.

Hope that helps,

Ben

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Beheer S
June 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Beheer S

It sounds like you need to be using a database connection, what you've outlined above sounds like the perfect use case for this. As you have already suggested it's quite a tedious process to append new data each week, and the data size limitations will not work to your advantage if your looking to archive historic data. I'm assuming, by what you've described, that your data would also be too large for Google Sheets?

A database would be the way forward, the decision on which one depends on your requirements and the amount of data you'll need to store, take a look through the various options available, a MySQL database would be a good starting point, or you may want to consider Google BigQuery, which I can highly recommend.

Hope that helps,

Ben

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ben P,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply to my post. I did consider connecting a database like MySQL but since I had no experience in this field I was a bit apprehensive. Looking at it now, it will save me a lot more time to school myself. 

Thank you for your recommendation, I will start by checking out the possibility of using BigQuery since it would be a seamless fit with Data Studio.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

No problem, happy to help, good luck with BigQuery!