Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Unable to create new Metrics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Is it possible to create new metrics in a report when a different user has created the report?

I'm unable to create new metrics in a report where a colleague created the data source. Similarly another colleague is unable to create a new metric in a report which I created.

Is there a permission somewhere that allows other users create metrics in data source that I added?

Thanks

N.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

From other posts I have seen this is because of a permissions issue.

More than likely you have "View" permission and not "Edit" permission.  If you click on the Sharing Icon in the top right, make sure both of you are set to edit.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mike, 

Thanks for the response.

I do have Edit permissions, I'm able to edit the report, I can also create filters. However, I cannot create new metrics.

When I view the "Manage Added Data Sources" page I'm unable to edit the data source, I can see the edit button but it is disabled. When adding the data source I don't see any options to change permissions for the data source.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

+1 for this, we have the same issue. Even if we change the owner, it seems only the original creator can see the "Create New Metric" button. Not a browser issue, we tested in Chrome and Firefox for both users. Presume this is a permissions issue.

Also presume the same root cause is driving a separate problem we have: if a dashboard is copied you need to re-associate some of the data sources (presumably the ones added by other users).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Cyrus, 

As Mike indicated it is a permissions issue. We discovered that the Report and Datasource can, and need to, be shared individually. I had only been given edit access to the Report, once I was given edit access for the Datasource I could then create new metrics.