2.9K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Unable to connect to views in PostgreSQL

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I have successfully created a number of reports based on PostgreSQL as a data source. I create views in PostgreSQL to pre-format the data required.

This has been working fine up until yesterday, but now I can no longer retrieve data from any view if I set it up as a new data source. Existing sources work fine.

I can authenticate and get the list of tables, but when I select a view and CONNECT I get the error "No fields were found for this configuration".

I can successfully connect to tables rather than views.

I cannot connect to old views created for reports either, although they continue to work fine in the reports they were created for.

I have tried reconnecting with users with different access privileges, all fail.

It's as though it's the fact they are views which is the problems.

All was working fine until yesterday.

Possibly relatedly, I have noticed that the tables list appears to be cached, and often doesn't immediately include new views and shows ones which have been dropped.

Any ideas gratefully received.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am experiencing the same issue. Everything worked fine - even this morning. But all of a sudden it doesn't allow select the view anymore. "no fields were found for this configuration".

Any ideas are highly appreciated!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I hope GDS is not deprecating the views, otherwise it become a toy product !!!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

A bit more information, if I make a copy of a working datasource pointing to a view, it works fine in reports, but if I try to edit it it fails with "No fields were found for this configuration". 

It looks as though it is failing to get the list of fields from the view, although it can see all the available tables and views, and can SELECT from the view or it would not work as a source.

I originally assumed it was a permissions issue, but I'm not aware of a permissions setting which would allow SELECT but not allow the fields to be listed?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hi, i've opened an issue at the product's Issue Tracker - 

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/62980739

please visit the link and upvote ("star") it - 

maybe it'll speed things up...

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I've posted technical details to the Issue Tracker: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/62980739#comment4

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Hi folks,

We believe we've found and fixed the issue with PostgreSQL views. Can you try again and let us know if you see any continuing issues?

Thanks for your patience!

Best regards

The Data Studio team

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Working for me. Many thanks!

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee

Great! Glad to hear it!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Rick,

I'm getting "The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request."

Smiley Sad

relevant error:

{"reason":23,"errorStatus":{"reason":23,"code":13,"reasonStr":"JDBC_BACKEND_ERROR","errorCategoryStr":"SYSTEM_ERROR","endUserMessage":"","category":3,"uniqueErrorCode":"37726320","errorCategoryCode":"1004"},"params":{"errorId":"37726320"}}