AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

/URL/ vs /URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a landing page which I am trying to track. However, in analytics, this one page shows up as two separate items: /url and /url/.

Can someone please help me understand the difference between these and why this is happening? Thanks so much!

Re: /URL/ vs /URL

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Brad,

This is normal behaviour, as "/URL" and "/URL/" are two completely different Pages from GA perspective through which you're distributing your content (although the actual content may be same). Likewise, "example.com" and "www.example.com" will show up in different rows if you segment reports by Hostname.

The resolution is:

1) Configure server side redirect (301 Moved Permanently) so that any user landing at ""/URL" is automatically redirected to "/URL/" before the GA tag fires

OR

2) Set up Filter (either to remove or add trailing '/', whichever way you want to see it appear in reports.

This will ensure data for "/URL" and "URL/" is clubbed under same row!

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you so much for your reply!

I will use these solutions. one more questions, though - I want to understand why there are two URLs. Any idea why /Url and /Url/ are being created? For instance, is one mobile and one desktop? Thanks again!