Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Twitter report using Data Studio

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I build a twitter account report using Google Data Studio, Report preview link - http://bit.ly/2tlNYoX

How can i add data range in Google Sheet so i can compare previous period in month.

Snip20170704_5.png

I build similar report using Google Analytics for Organic - http://bit.ly/2r8VLE0

Snip20170704_3.png

I want to compare % basically between values.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

To use the date range comparison, you need to have the actual date in your Google Sheets report. If your data is monthly, then just add an -01 after the date (YYYYMMDD). Don't use slashes or letters or anything besides the YYYYMMDD format or DS won't recognize it. 

Re: Twitter report using Data Studio

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In my previous question, i was trying to fix the date range comparison, which i was able to fix, but now i am trying to compare between

two data and get percentage but its not displaying. also I add an -01 after the date (YYYYMMDD) in Google Sheet however, its not showing previous period. I think I will remove the add 01 in Date as its good without it and showing proper date range comparison on sheet.

Snip20170705_6.pngSnip20170705_7.pngSnip20170705_8.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Snip20170705_9.png

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Do you have data prior to January in your dataset? If not, then there's nothing in the previous period to compare it to and that's why you're not getting a variance number. Since your date filter is set to 1/1/17-6/30/17, you have to have 1/1/16-6/30/16 in your data to get the comparison (for previous year) or 7/1/16-12/31/16 for previous period. 

When I suggested adding 01 after the month, I meant only if your month was set up as YYYYMM, then you would add the 01 to make it YYYYMMDD (e.g., if your month is 201706, then you would add 01 to make it 20170601). But if you already have a full date, then you don't need to do that. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for getting back, really appreciate your support.

You are right that i should have data for previous period but I am trying to compare data not from previous year but previous month. e.g. I have another report for analytics in which i can compare previous month data.

Snip20170706_15.png

Snip20170706_16.png

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

If your filtered date range is 1/1-6/30, then the previous period wouldn't be the previous month, it would be the previous 6 month period. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Asim, can you tell me, how you imported the twitter analytics in google data studio? your report is really nice, I´m searching for a aolution to do it exactly like you Smiley Happy Hope to hear from you, Julie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Julie, thats a secret Smiley Happy well, I got twitter analytics data in Google Sheet and connect it with Data Studio. You can do other methods but it may be not free.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Asim - I will have a try ;-)