Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Trying to put contition on value of a data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here is my issue,

I have a source which contains calls, one line for each.

Depending on the duration, the billing has to be different.

I am trying to get a report where the billing displays like this:

- over 6 minutes calls                        XXXX€

- under 6 minutes calls                      XXXX€

But I can't find the correct way to play with dimension and metrics directly in DataStudio.

I don't want to put this information in my source, because depending on the report, times and values are not the same.

Thanks for the help

Regards

Pierre Damien 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pierre-Damien D
July

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Thanks for you reply!

These data are from Big Query.

As I was saying earlier, I don't want to touch my source. As a matter of fact, this source contains data for multiple companies.

Each one will get its own DataStudio report, and rules are never the same from a company to another. 

I just found a solution, it is quite tricky but effective:

- First create a dimension "time_cat" based on the duration (CASE WHEN duration>360 then "+6min" ELSE "-6min" END)

- Then create a metric "val_cat" containing the value and set it to average (CASE WHEN duration>360 then 14 ELSE 7 END)

- Then create a second metric with this formula COUNT(time_cat)*val_cat

And it will do the job. This way you won't have to create a column per rule in your source.

Regards

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Where is your data coming from?

If it's coming from Google Sheets, then you can add a column with a formula which categorizes the call as over/under 6 minutes, and use that to create the cost in another column, then import those into Data Studio. 

If it's coming from Google Analytics (or another direct link), then you likely need a CASE statement. I'm not well versed in those, so if that's what you need, perhaps someone else can chime in. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pierre-Damien D
July

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Thanks for you reply!

These data are from Big Query.

As I was saying earlier, I don't want to touch my source. As a matter of fact, this source contains data for multiple companies.

Each one will get its own DataStudio report, and rules are never the same from a company to another. 

I just found a solution, it is quite tricky but effective:

- First create a dimension "time_cat" based on the duration (CASE WHEN duration>360 then "+6min" ELSE "-6min" END)

- Then create a metric "val_cat" containing the value and set it to average (CASE WHEN duration>360 then 14 ELSE 7 END)

- Then create a second metric with this formula COUNT(time_cat)*val_cat

And it will do the job. This way you won't have to create a column per rule in your source.

Regards