AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Too Many URLs Relation to Custom UTM Not Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi There,

The company I work for created a custom UTM format that pulls into an in-house activity tracker, but these UTMs are not the same as they would be if they were created with Google URL builder (hopefully soon will change). Ours are currently formatted like this: &campaign=CampaignName_Source_Medium&utm_campaign=CampaignName_Source_Medium

I have attempted on a few occasions to import the data into analytics using the schema they provide, which has 3 columns: ga:campaignCode, ga:medium and ga:source, the ga:campaignCode column was filled by our CampaignName fields, and the rest remains the same. That said, I can't seem to get any of these to show up and it has been over a week.

On a maybe related note, I have received a notification that there are too many URLs, which I am trying to sort out. Could the Too Many URLs issue be the reason the new UTMs are not showing up?

Thank you in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Too Many URLs Relation to Custom UTM Not Tracking

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
When you configure your import, check the box to overwrite data with imported values.
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Julien,

It was already set to overwrite and still is not pulling information. Do you know if the name is an acceptable value for the campaignCode field? and Could the Too Many URLs error be the reason these are not appearing.

Would appreciate any advice you can offer me. The company is working on switch over to standard Google UTMs and I cannot wait to just do it the normal way.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

OK it seems you are not using a campaign code after all :-(
The campaign data import procedure only works for hits that contain

?utm_id=mycampaigncode

In your case, you'll need to tell GA to grab the campaign code from variable "campaign" by updating the tracking code on each page:

ga('set', 'campaignId', 'campaign');

Then you will be telling GA to look for URL parameter campaign for the key used in your upload

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan