2K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Timeline chart grouped by week?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I am trying to create a timeline chart by week of the year. However I don't see that as an option under Dimension : Time Dimension were there are only 4 options (date, hour of the day, Month of the Year, Year).  I do see week of the year when I click on create new dimension, however I can't seem to add that to what I can select.

Is it possible to create a chart by week?  

1 Expert replyverified_user

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Alex -- you can now create a time series chart that plots your data by Year Week (YYYYWww) and Week (Www).

The fields that contain this data must be set to these one of these new types in the Data Sources section of your report. You can get there by selecting a table or chart, clicking on the "Edit data source" pencil, and changing the "Type" for the fields in question. This won't be necessary for data connections that you create to systems like GA and AdWords moving forward, but you will need to adjust previously created connectors.

Hope that helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What kind of Week is used?

ISO-Week or another definition?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

My data source is Google Analytics.  When I change the Time Dimension in the Time Series Properties Dimension to either Week of Year or Week of the Year options, the chart refreshes but presents a configuration error 2221bbff9.  What am I doing wrong?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

@Alon G Just used this for the first time today - thank you for letting us know this feature is live! Smiley Happy

@Alex F Have you managed to resolve your issues? Are you able to share a capture of your settings panel?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Ben P -- no unfortunately this is not resolved. Unfortunately you can not post images in this topic panel. However I've included a link to PDFs.  Really appreciate your help.GDS Settings

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Ben P --

Can you advise if anyone is working on this issue?
Thanks

Alex

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What metrics are you using? Have you tried only having sessions as metric. (Just in case you are using Google Analytics data) I can see Week of Year as an option. I'm struggling with not getting ISO Week of the year as a dimension that exist in bar charts but not in time series. Strange.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I do that with a Bigquery connector, but when I select a date range the chart returns a system error.

Are you working to repair this?

Re: Timeline chart grouped by week?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For time series charts, where the date range is user selectable,  is there a way to either 1) let the user select the time dimension, or preferably, 2) automatically have DS select the time dimension based on the duration of the report? 

i.e. If the report covers 1-30 days, give me daily time dimensions/points, but if the report is >30 days give me weekly points, or monthly time dimension/points for >180 days?

For longer periods of time, the default daily points become unreadable.

Thanks!