1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Time Series graph with "Week" (created by Week(Date_Value) ) Time Dimension shows redundant weeks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Everyone,

This is the flow that causes this undesired behaviour:

1. My data has Date_Value column. Create a new dimension by using Week(Date_Value) and convert the format to ISO weeks.

2. Add a new Time Series graph and add this dimension as "Time Dimension"

Expected:

The graph will show on the X axis only weeks for which there is data.

Result:

The graph shows all the weeks of the year, not only the weeks of the relevant time range as defined by the time range filter. This doesn't happen while choosing Date_Value as the Time Dimension.

.Week breakdown shows redundant time range.png

Thanks!

Time Series graph with "Week" (created by Week(Date_Value) ) Time Dimension shows redundant weeks

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

It will show weeks for the whole date range you've selected, even if there's no data. If you want the line to go to 0 instead of breaking, you can change that option in the properties tab. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am afraid this is not the case. It doesn't " show weeks for the whole date range you've selected " but rather shows all the possible weeks in the year (1-52) regardless of the date range I've selected. Please have a look at the screen shots I've attached.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Are you sure that the date range in your chart is set to "auto"? It's possible to have a filter on your page, but if your chart isn't set to auto, then the filter won't affect it. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes I am certain (re-checked right now)... BTW I am using BigQuery.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am having the exact same problem. Ever found the solution ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Nope seems like this bug wasn't fixed yet...

Googlers? Do you have an ETA for the fix?