5.3K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Time Dimension invalid in Data Studios

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have tried to create a report on Data Studios, but my Time Dimension is always invalid and when I go to choose a dimension for it, it's blank. In my Google Spreadsheet, there is a column called Month and has the months in MM format. Can someone help me with this?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Time Dimension invalid in Data Studios

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
Hi Tanima

It looks like there are some issues using Month fields as time dimensions. We're looking into it

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, can you please let me know if there is a solution to this issue? my email is mbaradell@ideagrove.com

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Any news ? I am also unable to use any Time Dimension from a spreadsheet.

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi Jérémie

Date fields in your Sheets should be in full month, day, and year format. You can then use the Month() function to return the month of the Date dimension. E.g., MONTH(date).

Hope this helps.

Rick

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Rick,

I'm pulling data from a Google Sheet and I'm running into some trouble here trying to aggregate by month in a time series. I've created a dimension equal to MONTH(date_created).

When I set the type of that dimension to MM, I am unable to select that dimension in the Dimension Picker. When I set the type to YYYYMM, I am able to select it in the Dimension Picker. However, I see a chart error saying "Cannot render chart. Start date of 1 is invalid." I'm guessing that the "start date of 1" is coming from my first record in the sheet - the month is 1. But I can't figure out how to make a dimension that is selectable and doesn't cause errors.

Can you help with this? Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm just starting to use Studio, and I'm seeing a similar puzzling issue.

EasyCapture.PNG

HardCapture.PNG

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee

Hi Richard,

What is the format of Arrival Time in the data source? 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone,

I am facing the same problems discussed here, with "Cannot render chart. Start date of Month is invalid." for a time series, though there are no nulls in my data.. Is there any update on this topic?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm in the same boat here. I had it all working on a local MySQL database and then in moving it to Google Cloud SQL its giving me the sme error.