Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

The Text Box doesn't work for me..

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I'm just going through the Create your First Report. 

Instructions for creating text are pretty simple, execution couldn't be more simple... create a text box then type then edit the text. I can create the text box and type but nothing shows up. 

I tried changing the order - more the text forward and to the front.

I tried changing the order of the background - moving it backward etc. 

I tried creating a text box in new places. 

Nada. 

Wait. Not nada. Sometimes when I'm typing all of a sudden the screen jumps down. 

What the heck!!!

https://datastudio.google.com/open/0B5sY_DThqlHYQkY4U2lvRUJsTVk

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brigid G
June 2016

Re: The Text Box doesn't work for me..

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

That was it - works fine in Chrome!!!
I update the text in Chrome and it immediately updates on my Safari screen.

Edit: in case it helps,  Safari 9.1, El Capitan, MacBook Pro.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
DS is free and technically still in beta ;-)
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee
Hi Brigid

Sorry to hear you're having troubles! Creating text SHOULD be very easy, so I wonder if it's something as simple as the choice of text color? When you are typing, is the Text Properties panel selected? Can you change the font color (highlight all the text first by pressing CTRL-A (or CMD-A on Mac))?

The screen jumping down sounds like text is being entered and is wrapping.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I feel like a total idiot given that creating text should be the easiest of anything to do, yet here I am.

After drawing the text box I've tried 1) typing text, then selecting the font controls, 2)I've tried selecting text which doesn't seem to exist, then selecting the font controls, (doesn't work at all - this moves the box around) 3) I've tried first selecting the font controls then typing.... nothing works.

I'm on a Macbook Pro in El Capitan. I had problems on another site earlier today. I will try another browser.

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi Brigid

That is really strange!

I've made a copy of your report but need access to the data source, which I requested. If you are comfortable sharing that, go ahead and do so and I'll take a look.

FYI, I do see some text in the report

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brigid G
June 2016

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

That was it - works fine in Chrome!!!
I update the text in Chrome and it immediately updates on my Safari screen.

Edit: in case it helps,  Safari 9.1, El Capitan, MacBook Pro.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
P.S. Thanks for being here Rick!

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee
Hi Brigid,

Ah, I'm glad you figured it out! I checked with the product team and yes, they have only tested Data Studio on Chrome. I will pass this issue on to them, but for the meantime, if it's not inconvenient, I hope you can just use Chrome to edit reports. Viewing *should* work in any browser, but let me know if you see otherwise.

Happy to help

Rick

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Sounds like a plan! Will do. Thanks.

Hey Rick, I am doing a presentation on GA and DS and Tab at WordCamp KC in 11 days!
I'm just learning DS. Is there anything especially outstanding that I should be sure to cover, in your opinion?

Google Employee
# 10
Google Employee
Hey Brigid,

The 3 main pillars of the product are connecting to data, visualizing that data, and sharing and collaboration. In my opinion, the overall ease with which you can do all those things is fantastic. And of those three, collaboration and sharing is the real differentiator. There are, honestly, more powerful visualization tools out there, but they tend to be pretty complex to use. And it may not be easy to share the reports with someone outside your organization, let alone actually collaborate on the report.

You might want to share this video we did for the Google Performance Summit with your audience. It has a snappy sound track and is a nice visual overview of what you can do with Data Studio. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2ya20lmyIk

At the other end of the spectrum, I think calculated fields are super powerful. These let you transform your data inside the data source, so you don't have to change the actual data set. Here's the Help Center article on this: https://support.google.com/360suite/datastudio/answer/6299685?hl=en&ref_topic=6370331

Hope this helps!

Rick