AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Table showing "invalid dimension" and "invalid metric" but still working

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have tables and charts in a dashboard, the dashboard works fine for a while, then upon revisiting it i see every chart has the following type of issue:

Capture.PNG

The dashboard appears to function, but it makes editing existing charts quite frustrating, is this a known issue? what's the cause?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Typically see this when replacing a datasource or a live connection to a source gets edited/updated and the linking to dimension/metrics breaks for any reason.

What is your datasource and has it changed recently?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Did you change the data source?

Try to have a look if you still get option as dimension and metrics or are empty.

We had a lot of times this issue when copying and pasting the same report and updating the sources, especially if we created some custom metrics/dimensions.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, I added some calculated fields. Does this mean that each time I add a calculated field, all my reports using that connection will all display this error?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Is your data source a Google Sheet?  And if so did you add the new calculated fields after the last column?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

This is a Google Analytics data source, I've created the calculated fields following this guide: https://support.google.com/datastudio/answer/6299685?hl=en

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

I see....this should not have broken your connection to GA.  I suggest creating a brand new connection to the same GA source and see if that helps, helped a guy yesterday: 

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Data-Studio/Why-does-my-data-source-say-quot-Untitled-Data...

Re: Table showing "invalid dimension" and "invalid metric" but s

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm at a bit of a loss now. This is happening on numerous reports. I have taken one of the reports and copied it, refreshed the data source, removed the data source entirely and re-added it, and it still shows as "invalid metric" and "invalid dimension" when viewing chat data.

The report still works fine, so clearly this hasn't broken the connection, but I would like to understand what has caused it.

Does anyone from google feel like taking a look? This is what appears in the menu when you click on the invalid dimension:

invalid dimension.PNG

I get the same with the invalid metric. I can re-define the metrics and dimensions, but then when the report is next viewed it shows them all as invalid again.