Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Summary table with all websites

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all

I am a marketing anayst, but have been working with various other tools over the past few years and not Google ones, so please forgive me if this sounds like a dumb question. 

My webdev guy set up 1 Account in Analytics with 9 different sites (properties) and 1 view called "All Web site data".

The plan is to grow these 9 sites to possibly a couple hundred, so I would like to set up report in Data Studio, with a table, which will list all the sites as dimensions, and whichever measures I would like to report on.

So I will be able to quickly review all the sites performance in 1 report.

Is this possible and if so, please help with the how! I have been going at it for 2 days with no joy.

Thanks

Mark

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Do you have an easy was to split out the different websites within your all website data? You can't combine data from different views, but if there's a way to split it out within your "all web site data," then that's ideal. 

For instance, we have a number of different view properties for different sections of our website, so that those departments can access their data. When I want to compare one section to another, I pull "page path 1" because our website is constructed as www.site.com/section/subsection. 

However, if your websites are entirely different domains, then this won't work. Perhaps there's a domain metric you can pull into a table that would aggregate all the data for that domain and therefore let you compare domains?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Well, in that case, I would use Google Analytics Add-On in Spreadsheet to pull hostname/page (if you're using different domains) and then upload the data in Data Studio. I do it on many reports. The only problem I have is that there is a limit of lines in timeline charts and that Spreadsheet limits cells count to 2M.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys

Thanks for the responses.

I was looking around at creating a new dimension, and found a function: REGEXP_EXTRACT( URL , '^https://[^/]+/([^/]+)/' ) to extract the top level directory from a URL: See link below:

https://support.google.com/datastudio/answer/7050487?hl=en&authuser=1&ref_topic=7041728#related_reso...

I am not a coder, but I would guess this could be modified to extract the domain component of a URL only?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Mark

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Well, if you use the same account for many websites with different host names (domains), I would suggest you to do this.

1. Create a new test view (in GA)

2. Add the domain name to the Page dimension : https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1012243?hl=en (Filter option in GA)

3. Then, in Data Studio, once you chose that view for data source, you could pull the pageviews by Page Path Level 1 (host name/domain name)

Would that work for you?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Thanks for the advice.

I have created the filter, but as the sites are "pre-launch", I don't really have a lot of data.

So, one good thing, if I did it wrong, I can't mess up the stats on live sites.

I believe it takes 24-hours to reflect, so will check Monday (tomorrow is public holiday here).

Holding thumbs.

Thanks again.

Mark