AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Spreadsheet Data Source BROKEN

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I have a few spreadsheet data sources which are not working any longer. They've been working fine up until now, and the underlying data structure in the spreadsheet has not changed.

What's odd is that upon inspection, all of my "Fields" settings look good, and I can see my list of fields. However, I can not select any Dimensions or Metrics in chart settings Smiley Sad

Ex: https://screencast.com/t/BmtvsaWPKnR

Anyone have any idea of how this can be fixed?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

When you click the "invalid dimension" or "invalid metric" buttons, what happens? Do you get an error or just nothing?

Have you already tried: creating a new chart with the same dataset? Reconnecting the dataset? Refreshing the dataset?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey @Litmon! Thanks for helping out.

When I click on the dimension/metric options, I just see that there are no choices: https://screencast.com/t/VG42hf0g

This is the confusing part since there are clearly acceptable dimensions & metrics listed in my data source.

Since my original post, I realized that this issue is popping up for both bigquery data sources as well as spreadsheets.

I have tried reconnecting the data source & refreshing - neither helps. I also get the same errors when creating a new chart and attempting to use the data source.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I've sometimes noticed this happen if the dataset has interpreted the fields as the wrong thing. Like, it thinks that a metric is a dimension, etc, so it won't let me pick it. Does this still happen if you open a new dashboard and connect the dataset? Not that you should have to recreate everything, but if it still isn't working when you try one, then it sounds like a connection issue rather than a setup issue.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Ok - I tried using the data source in a new dash, and it worked! I then "reset" the data type for a field in my broken data source (literally just reselected the existing data type), and that fixed the error!

Nice idea Smiley Happy Thanks for the tip!

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Ok, this is broken again.

After resetting data types (as described above), my data sources are now broken again a few hours later. It's really not sustainable to keep resetting data types manually for all of my data sources in this dashboard.

This is definitely a bug. Is someone at Google available to look into this, pretty please?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Is there any way to un-mark this as solved? I wonder if a Google person might not click on it since it's marked as solved at the moment?