AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Solved: Filter control for Sheet source only works on one scorecard at a time

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I have some data in Sheet which is my source in some charts in a dashboard.

I have created a filter control against a MM formatted date.

This works fine with my data but when I create scorecards to show my topline metrics the filter only works on one scorecard.

I even copied the scorecard so the set up is exactly the same but still when I use the filter it only controls the first scorecard.

The metric of the scorecard doesn't matter, I tired all of my available metrics and the single scorecard works with all of them but any additional scorecards with this Source that I add aren't controlled by the filter.

Is that a bug?

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author George Slokoski
June 2017

Filter control for Sheet source only works on one scorecard at a time

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi George,

maybe I did not understand your problem correctly.

But have you checked the explanation for filter control on Data Studio help?

Perhaps something gets wrong with the field ID or scope?

How filter controls work

Filter controls display the values for the selected dimension as a list. Viewers can select one or more list items by which to filter the report. Charts and controls in the report that are subject to the filter then only display data for the selected filter items.

There are 2 factors that determine whether a chart will be affected by a filter control: field ID and scope.

Filter controls and field ID

Filter controls only apply to fields that have the same internal field ID as the dimension used in the filter control. For example, a filter control based on the Google Analytics Browser dimension will apply to all charts on the page that also have that dimension in their data source, because all Google Analytics data sources have the same default field IDs. But a field coming from another data source, say Google Sheets, will not be affected by the filter, even if it has a user-defined name of "Browser." This is because the field names you provide and the internal field IDs generated by Data Studio don't match. 

Since you can't edit the internal IDs for the default fields in a data source, filter controls are only guaranteed to work when they are based on the same data source as the charts on that page. 

Filter control scope

By default, filter controls apply to all the charts on the page on which it appears (subject to the field ID matching rules described above).

You can restrict a filter to a subset of charts by grouping the filter with those charts. To do this, multi-select the filter and one or more charts. Then use the Align > Group menu (or right-click and and select Group). Now, the filter will only apply to the charts in this group.

Kind regards

Sascha

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author George Slokoski
June 2017

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi George,

maybe I did not understand your problem correctly.

But have you checked the explanation for filter control on Data Studio help?

Perhaps something gets wrong with the field ID or scope?

How filter controls work

Filter controls display the values for the selected dimension as a list. Viewers can select one or more list items by which to filter the report. Charts and controls in the report that are subject to the filter then only display data for the selected filter items.

There are 2 factors that determine whether a chart will be affected by a filter control: field ID and scope.

Filter controls and field ID

Filter controls only apply to fields that have the same internal field ID as the dimension used in the filter control. For example, a filter control based on the Google Analytics Browser dimension will apply to all charts on the page that also have that dimension in their data source, because all Google Analytics data sources have the same default field IDs. But a field coming from another data source, say Google Sheets, will not be affected by the filter, even if it has a user-defined name of "Browser." This is because the field names you provide and the internal field IDs generated by Data Studio don't match. 

Since you can't edit the internal IDs for the default fields in a data source, filter controls are only guaranteed to work when they are based on the same data source as the charts on that page. 

Filter control scope

By default, filter controls apply to all the charts on the page on which it appears (subject to the field ID matching rules described above).

You can restrict a filter to a subset of charts by grouping the filter with those charts. To do this, multi-select the filter and one or more charts. Then use the Align > Group menu (or right-click and and select Group). Now, the filter will only apply to the charts in this group.

Kind regards

Sascha

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Sascha,

I guess I should've checked the documentation first...

It was indeed the scope as I had grouped the filter with the one Scorecard chart amongst other things.

Hence the additional Scorecards didn't get affected by the filter since by grouping it I had changed its scope!

Thanks for your help.

Best,

George