4.8K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Simple Not Null Dimension Filter

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a table reporting on spend for 3 dimensions, but it adds a fourth which is a blank dimension, which equals zero.  Not sure why this is in there as there are no rows of data with blank fields, however, I don't want it in there. 

I've created a Filter, with Contains a Letter that is in all Dimensions, in this case was the letter 'P', which works.  But in future, is there a simple Not Null filter, in the Filter option. I've tried the obvious, such as Excludes and Contains - which I've left blank etc.

Any thoughts? 

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Simple Not Null Dimension Filter

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hey Paul,

I'm not quite sure I understand the situation. How is an empty dimension appearing in your table? Is that empty dimension included in the table as a column? (If so, you can just remove that dimension).

You might be able to use a regex match in the filter (but to be honest, I'm not sure what "blank" means in this context).

Another approach might be to deal with this in your data source, using a CASE statement. You can use the IS NULL operator there, for example.

Take a look at the help docs: https://support.google.com/360suite/datastudio/answer/7020724#is_null_operator

HTH!

Rick

Re: Simple Not Null Dimension Filter

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Rick, So, I think I've solved the problem - however, to explain the issue, it's not an empty dimension but an  'entity' (???) within a dimension. See below the zero value...Screen Shot 2016-12-03 at 5.44.15 pm.pngBlank row at the bottom with zero value.

So I added a filter, including the letter 'P' which got rid of it.  However, I have also found out that using a custom date control, which was from a year before and a year after any dates in the data also gets rid of it (???), which is odd, as the auto default date range is 'all dates'.