Data Studio
5K members online now
5K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Serious Issues with Datastudio Data Integrity (e.g. E-Commerce Transactions, DBM Cost)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm quite unhappy how Datastudio handles data at the moment and there still seem to be serious bugs.

I give 3 examples:

1) The most serious of all is a bug which also seems to affect the API (or comes from there in the first place)

With a customer that has GA360 connection and is importing DBM Costs:

Example: I want to know the DBM Costs for 2016-01-01 and put in that date exclusive in Datastudio:

Inline-Bild 1

Thats fine and is the same as in GA.

Now I select the whole range from 2016-01-01 to 2017-26-03:

Inline-Bild 2

Those are totally wrong numbers! Getting them via API in a spreadsheet is even more strange and wrong - there is apparently sampling done which is totally unnecessary with non user based cost data. But it's not only the sampling....

2) There seem to be serious flaws when using custom metrics built with datastudio.

Example:

I made a dashboard with campaign data and also added a custom metric "new users in %" which calculates "new users / users". This is great to see if targeting actually reached new users or existing ones (e.g. with remarketing). 

Unfortunately this screws up other numbers like total number of transactions but the strange things is, it doesn't always do this but only sometimes. That means if you reload the dashboard 20 times, the number could be 5 times right , 15 times wrong or vice versa!

3) The more complex a dashboard gets the more it is prawn to above stated "random error".

Example:

I included a Custom Dimension into a dashboard which associates the "customer status" e.g. "new customer", "guest", "regular customer" with the transaction. Now the same happens as in 2) , the numbers are sometimes wrong, sometimes right!

If developers want me to provide examples to help fix the issue, please contact me.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Serious Issues with Datastudio Data Integrity (e.g. E-Commerce Transactions, DBM Cost)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm also getting wrong data from GA; mainly for Total Events (13K should be 16K).

Always, ALWAYS, double check your data when using Data Studio. It's pretty unreliable.

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi Martin and Aberouch,

Can you please share the reports with a description of the problem and link to this thread with data-studio-help@google.com so that we can take a look and figure out what the issue is?

Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your quick response! I will check with our clients first and then give you details via mail.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I've had problems like this as well. I'm wondering if it's because sampling is happening, but there's no way to know if the data is sampled or not. At least with my Google Sheets add-on, it tells me if the data is sampled. Is there any way to tell in DS?